Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 Bumps

Anybody give their child melatonin..........UPDATE*

just curious, i give my older son melatonin but my daughter was eating them today (with out my knowledge) please don't bash, i already feel bad enough but she isn't acting any different but i am curious if your children have had more than the doseage allowed, did it do anything different to them?
She is super grouchy today though :( :( :(

I called poison control and she is going to fine. Thank you to the moms that are helpful in a nice manner , no mom wants to basically be called stupid but Cafemom sure has a way of making you feel that way when you are asking for help.

Answer Question
 
Ericha7

Asked by Ericha7 at 11:46 AM on Dec. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

Level 17 (4,087 Credits)
Answers (16)
  • I tried it for bedtime only, not over dosage or anything but i tell ya, it made him sleep for 3 good hours apparently cause the 9 days I tried it, he would wake after 3 hours then think its time to get up and wuold just wake up crabby like he had too much sleep ..
    maxsmom11807

    Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:48 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

  • My cousin does. I bought some for my husband and out of curiosity I looked on the bottle to see if it says anything about not giving it to children. It does give directions for adults. It also says not to give it to anyone under the age of 18.
    Snewo

    Answer by Snewo at 11:53 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

  • i would never give my children anything their ped dosen't reccomend...call poison control or her ped...and put that crap up where she can't get into it
    josiesmommy00

    Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:54 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

  • I don't know how much she took but you might want to call your pediatrician and tell them what happened. I was just googling overdose problems and there are many. Headaches, eye issues, and blood pressure problems are some of them. GL .
    elizabr

    Answer by elizabr at 11:54 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

  • I gave them to my oldest son at the advice of my dr for a month or so. They did help, but I never gave him more than the amount the dr recommended. If I remember correctly though, they were in a childproof bottle.
    missanc

    Answer by missanc at 11:55 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

  • My neighbor gave it to her very young daughter at the advice of her pediatrician for some sleep issues, but not overdosage things there. I don't know if it worked for her or not. I used to take it as an adult and stopped after awhile when one night it actually made me feel funny, wide awake and just real weird. I know you probably don't want to call the doctor because you don't want to explain that she might have taken too many, but you can ask the nurse and maybe not give your name. I would get some medical advice though, becuase you want to have the best information possible from the best source.
    amybaby_19

    Answer by amybaby_19 at 11:59 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

  • I gave them to my 13 year old son for around 1 year to help him fall asleep. They were wonderful. He took 3mg. Now he sleeps fine. I would call poison control if I were you.
    mompam

    Answer by mompam at 11:59 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

  • Josiesmommy00 I'm sorry you must not have heard me, please DON'T BASH i feel bad enough is what i said but you heard " let me tell this mom how awful she is" I did not give it to her, moms do make mistakes and i left it on a high counter and for your information my PEDI did prescrib it to my son, i don't just go around medicating my children, JESUS CHRIST people. Some moms really like to kick you when your down.

    Thank you to all the other moms that have nicely told me what i should do :)
    Ericha7

    Comment by Ericha7 (original poster) at 12:01 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

  • So your daughter ate an unknown amount and you didn't immediately call poison control?? CALL THEM NOW!
    khedy

    Answer by khedy at 12:01 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

  • Ericha7 please call your ped just to be safe. I am not bashing. I am concerned.
    tiddliwinks

    Answer by tiddliwinks at 12:11 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN