Passenger trains

My son loves trains (one of these days, I will buy him a train set, LOL). DH and I were talking about how cool it would be to take a ride on a passenger train somewhere, but no clue where to find what cities have a route (only freight trains come through here--we have a train yard here too). Where can I find that out, so maybe we can plan a trip sometime?

thatgirl70

Asked by thatgirl70 at 12:00 PM on Dec. 22, 2010 in Travel

• i was on a train once to nyc and there was a man with his two daughters that did this. he didn;t have a destination just went from train stop to train stop. it was a good idea. or went like two stops and then got off and then got some icecream for the kids and then got back on and went back home. i thought it was a great idea. but like the other posters said just google your city and state and see what happens. i have to travel 1 1/2 to get to a train to go to nyc but around here there are tours of old trains and train museums. have fun.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 12:12 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Amtrak/HomePage

Check to see if there is an Amtrak train near by. When we lived in Germany, we would love to just hop on a train and ride around for the day. My son was young but still enjoyed it. Also, check to see if there are any train museums nearby. Sometimes, they have a few miles of track that they do tours on.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 12:05 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Have fun....... online put in travel by train and your city and state.....

Chhhooooo chooooo, my son love them tooo...
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 12:08 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Thanks ladies, I will check out the Amtrak site. I know there is a train museum in a nearby city and also up where my BIL lives. We'll definitely take him to one of those.

JeremysMom: It was the same for us when we lived in Germany! My mom and I would sometimes just get on the train and go somewhere. It was cool. :)
    thatgirl70

Comment by thatgirl70 (original poster) at 12:13 PM on Dec. 22, 2010