Cockatiel Has A Bloody Wing =( What to do?

I'm guessing my cockatiel had a night fright. When I went to uncover her cage this morning I seen blood smeared everywhere. Her wing had blood on it, which had stopped bleeding. There were 5 feathers on the bottom of the cage, which were all her clipped flight feathers. I got her wrapped up in a blanket and tried looking at her wing but she kept fighting her way out. I put some flour on it, just in case it started to bleed again. My husband is coming come from work to help me out. I just want to know that if I do find a broken feather still attached, should I pull it out still? I was reading on another website about pulling the "bulb" of the feather out. If its broken off at the skin, should I try and pull the bulb out from under the skin even though it is not bleeding? She is doing fine, I am just really worried that she might start bleeding again if she bumps into something.

elenalee

Asked by elenalee at 12:01 PM on Dec. 22, 2010 in Pets

• Kwik Stop Styptic Powder is really as crucial as a cage when u own a birdie. Get some, asap. Call around your local pet shops and have them show u/explain its use. It's an essential tool because they don't have to lose much blood at ALL before they don't have the strength to stand and they they starve/dehydate
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 12:21 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• By the time I woke up this morning, and uncovered her cage like I always do, it was already done bleeding. I will be sure to pick some up. But my question was, if there is a broken feather, should I pull it still? What if it is broke off at the skin? She is acting perfectly normal as if nothing happened.
    elenalee

Comment by elenalee (original poster) at 1:37 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I've no idea...if she won't get stressed I would take her to the vets to get checked...or perhaps just call the vet and ask?
    little.knickers

Answer by little.knickers at 4:09 PM on Dec. 22, 2010