"face blindness"

have you ever heard of this? it's when you're looking at somebody you know and there face is unfamiliar. you still know who they are, but something is off.

sometimes i experience what i call "place blindness". its happened on and off since i was a teenager. and it really only happens if i think about it. in my current apartment, it's in the same complex as a friend i visited once, same 3 bedroom apartment just a different unit. once in a while, ill picture her apartment, and then im totally lost in my own. its like im actually inside of my friend's apartment, remembering the way hers was and not in mine anymore. i still know where everything is in here, but the place itself is unfamiliar. i have to literally re-trace my steps in my head when we signed the lease, envision myself driving to our apartment & walking inside, and then things are normal again. and like i said, if it doesnt cross my mind this doesn't happen.

is this a sign something's wrong with my brain or something? im afraid to talk to anyone about this cause it's weird and i can't even fully explain it myself in words. has this ever happened to you before? or something similar with another type of "blindness?" and no, i dont literally go blind. just go blind to my familiar surroundings, so to speak.

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 12:07 PM on Dec. 22, 2010 in Health

• It's a wiring issue. I've heard about the face blindness but not the place blindness.
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 12:26 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• 1 in 50 people has facial recognition blindness, at least that's what I read recently-wasn't this just in the news?
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 6:15 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• i don't think i ever heard of anything like that before. i do get these little episodes sort of like yours, but not exactly. i honestly can't explain it. it only happens once in a blue moon, and i feel like throwing up afterwards from the 'sensation' of it. i guess its sort of what you explained maybe. i told my husband about this a few weeks ago after it happened and he said it's possible that maybe when it happens my blood pressure/sugar may have taken a dive or something. but i don't really have low blood pressure/sugar. or maybe possibly from lack of sleep.
    shoot4thestars

Answer by shoot4thestars at 11:48 PM on Dec. 22, 2010