Dry Skin

Lately I have had very dry skin. On my body, it is itchy. My hands are red and starting to bleed just a little, on the knuckles and they are sore.My scalp is itchy, but I don't have dandruff. Any suggestions on what to do about it? I don't even know why this has happened.

Bugbait

Asked by Bugbait at 12:14 PM on Dec. 22, 2010 in Health

• Could be hormonal, stress or some new item your using. Either way try using unrefined raw shea butter. If you can find one with tea tree oil in it, that should help a great deal.
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 12:18 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Switch to Head and Shoulders shampoo and conditioner for a while. Get some Neutrogena hand cream. That stuff works wonders!
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 12:24 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I have a skin disease that does that to me. I use Suave's cocoa butter with shea lotion every day after I shower. I also use Head and Shoulders as well. The Neutrogena hand cream is awesome too for those in between shower moments.
    Walker101

Answer by Walker101 at 12:33 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• don't take hot showers and use gloves to wash dishes. always moisturize right after a shower and keep a small bottle of lotion in your purse to keep your hands soft. but you must moisturize your body.
    lucky35

Answer by lucky35 at 12:44 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• My favorite lotion to use is Aveeno oatmeal (it has a green cap). It doesn't hurt when you put in on cracked skin. You may have to lotion up a couple of times a day all over. In some areas, winter is really dry, and it can wreak havoc on your skin. I also agree that long hot showers should be avoided, as it can really sap the natural moisture out of your skin. Put lotion on your hands after every time you wash them.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 10:15 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Nothing you do for the outside of your body will change your skin, it'll be just a temporary fix.. moisturize your body from the inside out...look at your diet, are you eating healthy? Women need oils to keep everything working well, are you taking Fish oil? Vitamin E? Do you eat lots of fruit & veggies? Start thinking in terms of what you put inside your body, I'm guessing you could be doing more for your health...? Not trying to criticise, but our diets play a direct role in how healthy our skin is.
    chocolatluver

Answer by chocolatluver at 10:24 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• If you use chemically soaps, switch to natural ones instead, I use almond soap and a natural detergent for my dishes, same for laundry..
    chocolatluver

Answer by chocolatluver at 10:27 PM on Dec. 23, 2010