How do i deal with my 16 yr old

hes ADHD and he dont care about school and hes already had sex with girls,,hes smoking with his friends.what do i do with him

Monica742

Asked by Monica742 at 4:30 PM on Jul. 6, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• Look into alternative schools. if he is doing these things already there really is no way to force him to stop..it will only make him do more bad things..the best thing my mom ever did was to tell me she rather me not do things i was doing but if i was going to anyway she would be there to help when i needed it...share your past experiences with him....no matter how much you promised you would never tell him about the time you smoked pot at that concert...you have to lay down the law on some things but let him know that you understand (or at one point in your life)what he is going through. condoms are a big one....even if you have to talk to the girl he is dating about condoms too. he may grow out of all of this like i did. my best advice is to educate him about the choices to come...like other drugs, take him to a homeless shelter and show him what some of the choices he makes may really do....and dont give up on him , or he will give up on himslef too. good luck
    kharmasmom

Answer by kharmasmom at 6:59 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• Ugh, I can't WAIT for those years....not! I'm not entirely sure where things went wrong with you two. I think you need to take away the cigs, talk about abstinence and what happens if he gets STD's, and discuss his future. Maybe you could help him finish school at home since he's having such a hard time...
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 4:38 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• You need to get more involved in his life... ground him if you have to! Smoking isn't the end of the world, but if he has that "I don't care" attitude, you need to find SOME WAY to connect with him so that he'll open up to you... so you can find out why he feels that way about EVERYTHING. The ADHD probably has nothing to do with his attitude, but I know it can cause problems with school. If he's failing a lot at school, talk to his teachers/ counselor to get him some help.
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 6:28 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• find someone wiht aids for him to talk to. then, cut out his allowance or whatever so he can't buy cigarettes...where is a 16 year old getting them anyway?...and then, as for the sex thing, condoms. he's not gonna quit.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 11:54 PM on Jul. 6, 2008