Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you think states should garnish federal tax returns to repay welfare or other social services?


Asked by Anonymous at 4:53 PM on Nov. 9, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

This question is closed.
Answers (11)
  • yes i do

    Answer by lovingmomof7 at 9:59 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

  • Yes! And I'm pretty sure they already do just like they do for back child support and back taxes.

    Answer by kabbot01 at 4:54 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

  • YES!

    Answer by Christinemg0813 at 4:55 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

  • They do, since a parent usually is on assistance b/c the lack of two parents when the other starts to pay child support the state takes the money. Which I kinda is a little counter productive b/c when they get off assistance they struggle for a while and the money could go towards them being more self suffiecent.

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:03 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

  • Yes AND No! I think it depends on the family, their income level, and the number of people they have in their home. Exactly where that line should be I don't know....

    I know that some should have to "repay" and other shouldn't.

    Answer by SAHMinIL at 5:08 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

  • Dosnt matter what I think, as states DO exactly what your asking. Unless the laws get changed they will continue to do it even if it is unfair financially to some family's.



    Answer by vbruno at 5:18 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

  • I got welface checks 3 might I add in 1999 I was 19 and dumb my son's father left me when I was preg...well this year finally they took his income tax ...he has worked under the table etc etc well they gave the state the check for $1235...I kinds thoughtthat was wrong..but thats the rules ...but what does make me sick is that he gets food stampshis wife and kids to 9 I am not mad about tham ) but I think that he should have to go to child support and corporatewith them before he gets his stamps he has not been in to see her in a long time (years ) and she tells me well I cant get him for contempt of court the post office can not verify his address....well use the address he gets his food stamps at ...she said she tried and it came back not verified ....well than that's welfare fraud...cut him off until he corporates ....ohh child support makes me so mad...thanks for the vent lol


    Answer by Anonymous at 5:37 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

  • In theory, they do.

    Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 5:53 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

  • Not necessarily. Most people who use social services have or will pay into those programs through their taxes. If manages properly, more money should be going into the programs than is coming out.

    Answer by AaronsMommy1015 at 7:35 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

  • Yes. Social programs were designed to give those a hand up when hey fell on hard times. I has become more of an entitlement issue.....a hand out or free money if you will.


    Answer by SanDiegoMaxMom at 9:08 PM on Nov. 9, 2008