Question about Salvation

My cousin and I are having a debate of sorts. She's a new Christian and says her pastor told her that all she needs is salvation to get into Heaven and as long as she prays and worships she's done her part.

Now my arguement with this is the book of James says Faith without work is dead and the book of Matthew says Not all who say Lord, Lord will enter Heaven but only those who submit to My Father in Heaven.

Am I really so off base that she's right in comdemning me to Hell for blasphemy or are we both in the right here?

BlueCollarMama

Asked by BlueCollarMama at 12:24 PM on Dec. 22, 2010 in Religious Debate

• You aren't off base, I don't think. When I got saved, back in 2003, my pastor told me I would greatly benefit from studying God's Word, praying,and seeing what God has in store for me, and things like that. Once we are saved, God is able to start working His plan in our lives. But, we are brand new beings, hence the term "born again." We have to study, mature as Christians, wait for God, and then go with His leading, as He works what He has for us. Just 48 hours after I was saved, I began a Beth Moore study with the women's group at our church, and it set me on a path of study that I might not have otherwise. Now, she is right about we have to accept Jesus as our Savior to get into Heaven, even Jesus Himself says that in John 14:6, but God doesn't expect us to just rest on that. We have to do our parts as Christians while we are here on earth.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 12:31 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Salvation does not come to us because of anything we have or have not done. It is a free gift. BUT what James is talking about is EVIDENCE of saving faith. James is saying that our good works (after being saved) is evidence to ourselves and others that salvation is already taken place.

Google the false doctrine, semi-pelagianism. That doctrine teaches that we play a part in salvation, but this is false.
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 12:31 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Also ... what you are thinking of is sanctification. We play a part in sanctification, NOT salvation.
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 12:32 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• You are both correct.

My question to you is this. What is considered works to you?
    We do not have to work for our salvation. Its a gift freely given to us by the Grace poured out from the heart of Jesus. He did everything for us already on the Cross.
    As for what Matthew says, you need to see whom that passage is for. You need to read it in context. Its really talking about false prophets I believe. Ill have to re read it to be sure.
    It is not talking about young christian. That much I do know.
    She is young and your giving her meat, you may want to be sure she is getting the basics first. The foundational stuff which is Love one another as He has loved us.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:33 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• She is partly right. All she needs to do accept the free gift of salvation to get into heaven. In order to accept it, you need to believe it, but that's all that needs to be done. It's like accepting a birthday gift. You didn't do anything to earn it, but you had to accept it. You don't need to continue worshipping to stay saved. Once saved, always saved.

The verses you mention in James are talking about believers who are saved. Faith without works is dead because you're not doing anything for God. It's not going to grow.
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 12:34 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Many people like to use the analogy that salvation is a wrapped box that a person must reach out and receive. But this analogy presumes that the receiver is well enough, alive enough to take the wrapped box. It presumes that the receiver has the strength to reach out their arm and open their hand. But this is not a good analogy. Scripture says that apart from God we are dead, utterly incapable of coming to faith on our own. A better analogy for salvation is one where the recipient has drowned; not breathing, not conscious, not able to ask for help. Then someone comes along rescues this person from the water, performs CPR and rescue breathing, causing the person to "come to life." The drowned person usually has to cough up water (or the thing that caused his death, ie sin). But that person did not play any sort of role in being rescued from drowning. What happens after, would be akin to sanctification.
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 1:10 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Anyone who believes that he/she can do whatever he/she wishes and still enter Heaven should go back and read the history of Israel in the Bible. ALL of God's promises are conditional. Obedience IS a requirement for salvation. Obedience is the truest for of worship. Each of our sins costs DEATH--ours or the Lord's! Many want to focus on the "love" of God, but lend only a cursory glance to the reward for disobedience. Anyone who says that all we have to do is say we love Him and "worship" Him does not know Him!
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 1:48 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Shan- meat is more indepth study. Even the "babies" should know that obedience is required. This is very basic.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 1:49 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Salvation is a two way street. I agree with you. The Lord will save you but it doesn't stop there. Being a Christian is having a relationship with Jesus and listening to what he tells you your purpose is. When he says Do this work we must do that work. He is our heavenly father and we must respect him and listen to him. He knows what is best. Doing his works is a type of worship and worship is all a part of the plan. How can you receive a kindness and not give anything in return? I would ask her that.
    MamaCass05

Answer by MamaCass05 at 2:50 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Obedience IS a requirement for salvation

Obedience is a RESULT of salvation.
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 3:25 PM on Dec. 22, 2010