Has your family ever made you angry enough not to attend the Christmas celebration?

My mother is driving me mad! I swear the woman is doing it on purpose; and I believe because of it I would rather just stay home with my dh and two boys this year. Have any of you ever done this before?

Asked by gambilldl at 12:28 PM on Dec. 22, 2010 in Holidays

• Yep. We stayed home from Thanksgiving this year. We had just had a late first trimester miscarriage (literally, my D&E was the day before Thanksgiving) and my sister, who would be in attendance, said I was playing a victim and my mother told me basically to suck it up because it was Thanksgiving. We went out to dinner just us and our girls instead.

Answer by HeartsCombined at 12:33 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Yeah they pissed me off long ago. I havent spent Christmas with my family since I was 14

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:29 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Not my Mom, no. In laws, yes. We're going to a casual lunch (burgers, shakes) with her tomorrow and she'll fork over any gifts she got my kids. But I refused to buy them a thing, even a card and my DH said he'd rather die than goto their house. .... my Mom is pretty sickly and could literally have her last holiday at any time. So I let her rudeness slide off my back and forgive, no matter what

Answer by hibbingmom at 12:30 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Yes I stay home because its relaxing and less stressful.

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 12:34 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• jeez, heartscombined, you have a very insensitive family! im so sorry they treated you like that. no, my family has never upset me enough to call off on going to their home to celebrate holidays but my mother really ticked me off this year by trying to get out of cooking a traditional dinner. "lets bbq she says"?! wth bbq on Thanksgiving!! lazy,lazy she is.

Answer by lillie70 at 12:39 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Both my parent have pass a long time ago. We do go over my hubbies family house.
    his family knew me since I was a kid. We get along find. His grandmother was my
    mom best friend. She was like my second mom.

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 2:39 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• to answer the question no. I would still go.
    life too short

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 2:40 PM on Dec. 22, 2010