Snarky 5 yr old

My son turned 5 in August. He is very very smart, has a large vocabulary. He is #4 out of 5 kids. Lately he has been very snotty, and is giving me a lot of back talk...wonder where he gets it from. He lives with two teen girls and me and dad and little brother. My daughter who is older than him is 16 and the older one is 19. I realize he is growing up basically surrounded by adults, but it is really becoming a problem lately. Should I continue to just check him every time and put him in time out, or is there something more I can do. I am sure this is just a phase, but ugh!

salexander

Asked by salexander at 12:40 PM on Dec. 22, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I'd *HIGHLY* suggest a karate class. Even just a free trial one. They really put the smack down on respect. And expending energy so there's less attitude to go around.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 12:42 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Make sure he is getting enough individual attention and one on one time with you and your husband. He may be going for the negative attention because he is not getting enough positive attention. Being number 4 he might just not want to be forgotten!! :) GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 12:45 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I'd tell him frankly that his attitude and talk is not appreciated---or allowed. If he doesn't change, I think he should be punished. I would take away privileges. I don't allow brats to form.
    IndigoRose

Answer by IndigoRose at 1:01 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I think that checking him every single time he does it is probably sufficient. He will get the hint when he spends a good portion of his day in and out of time out that he needs to stop and think about what he's saying. I'm assuming that he just started kindergarten and that is such a huge thing. He's getting a little bit of freedom and he's also around other kids who get away with a lot more than he's used to and now he's testing the limits with you guys. If the older girls are sarcastic (not saying they are) but it might also be influencing him too. I know my 7 yr old daughter likes to test me with her attitude sometimes and I'm quick to send her to her room. She will apologize as soon as she sees the look on my face, but that doesn't get her out of her time out. I remind her all the time to stop and think about what she is about to say before she says it to make sure that it is an appropriate way to talk to me.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 4:08 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Yes, continue to check him, and do not let him get away with it. Don't let him have what he wants when he is being snarky. It's cute the first time, then it's just annoying.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 12:02 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• My newly turned 5 yr.old just let me know earlier today that it is his Xbox that daddy sent him ( the new one, I had to clean up, by a can of air for then spend almost 30 bux to make it work right, not new just new to him)...yeah that bossy attitude was just too much so I went in to his room and pushed the off button, then I said but its my rules.
    He got mad and cried and went behind his castle fort to hide from me cause he knew I just trumped his bossy attitude, so as he stood arms folded, mad, tryin to hide,I explained why I did what I did and how I wont accept disrespect from him even if others might get away with it at times, he is my son and I wont take it from him, he was still mad and so I said I love you but the attitude has to go, he said yes mam, then I told him to give me a hug and be mad if he wanted but only nice boys get to play Xbox in my house, he gave me a hug and said sorry.
    kingkongsmom

Answer by kingkongsmom at 10:53 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• It is hard when kids are around that kidn of stuff becaues they do pick it up. my son picks up on some of hte rude things my husband will say at times and it realyl makes me mad.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 12:00 PM on Dec. 27, 2010