did you sign up your child for sports or anything when they turned 4 or a certain age?

everytime when im driving around town i see signs for "cheerleading, ages 4 and up" "softball ages 4 and up" "dancing ages 4 and up" etc etc. my oldest is 4, and id love to get her involved in something like that. i wouldnt be able to afford it financially but if i were able to (and probably will soon) i would ask her if she wanted to do something like that. im hoping she picks dancing.. lol i think little girls in leotards and tights are so freakin cute.

how about you?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 12:41 PM on Dec. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• I didn't sign mine up for anything until they started showing interest in it. My oldest is 12 and just started baseball last year. And scouts a few years ago.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 12:44 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Not that young.

We do believe in team sports and had the kids try a variety of sports.  I personally perfer team sports over individual sports because I belive there are wonderful life lessons to be had.  I also believe in club sports over rec. sports... because of the life lessons.  I think kids should start out in rec. sports (where everyone plays) but that real life lessons come from club where you have to earn a spot on the team and even though you are on the team you may not play every game.  I think it teaches a TON.

I think dance and cheer are good sports... but they are not top on my list.  I have HUGE ISSUE with some of those mothers.  They are a different bread from sports moms. (no offence... not all but a good majority)

sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 12:45 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• My oldest son took karate at age 6 or 7. Other than that we waited until they were old enough to sign up for the town sports teams.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 12:48 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• both my kids were in a dance class and/or a tumbling and gymanastics class long before then. Daughter is 4 1/2 right now and is practicing for her 3rd annual dance recital. She is in an advanced class w/ some french influence and barre instruction.

Also by 4 we'd done a little karate, t ball, etc.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 12:44 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• during Summer they do swim lessons for 2 weeks..my 6 yr old will be doing bb in Jan. every Sat. for 1 hr. but just for the month of Jan.
    girliemom0406

Answer by girliemom0406 at 12:47 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• From 1 1/2 - 3, my son did Pre-gym. He has did Kindermusik for one session when he was two. From 2- 3 1/2, he did tae kwon do. At 4 we wanted to do t-ball. Since then he has done t-ball, soccer, football, and basketball every season. I think he has it narrowed down to just wanting to do football and basketball. He will also be joining the Boy Scouts in January and during the summers, he will be doing a Jr. Ranger program with the State Park. I like for him to experience a little bit of everything and let him decide which ones he likes best.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 12:52 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• We started at 4. We did dancing, but then switched to gymnastics. I think gymnastics provides more skills than dancing, especially at such a young age. She loves it, and if she wants to take dancing again, she will be stronger and more agile.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 12:53 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• my daughter wanted to do dancing when she was 4. She was sooo cute. But then a couple of years later she was so done. She told me, "Mom I like to dance but I'm too pretty to be sweaty. Can I play soccer where I don't have to be pretty?" LOL She will be 12 in 3 weeks and still plays soccer.
    Walker101

Answer by Walker101 at 1:00 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• My twins started gymnastics at 2, and they love it. I'll look into swimming lessons next summer when they will be almost 4. I'll look into team sports and/or dance when they are 4 or 5. My older daughter played T-Ball at 4.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 1:02 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• swiming.... never really thought of that as an option... that is kind of like teaching your child to tie his shoes... a MUST learn.

But if we are talking 4 that is a MUST DO activity. I can not imagine having a child who didnt know how to swim... it just isnt safte.

Yes... good thing to bring up girliemom
    Anonymous