Thoughts on declawing

Every cat I've even had growing up and now that I'm an adult has been declawed. The cat I have now is 6 years old and was declawed as a kitten. He still catches mice and spends most of his days outside and it has never held him back one bit. We are getting another kitten on Friday and I'm trying to decide whether or not to have him declawed. I have 3 small children and I just worry about them getting scratched but so many people now seem to think it's cruel. What are your thoughts?
By the way I'd only ever do the front paws, cats back claws are essential, and we don't have trees anywhere around that it would be trying to climb.

Quentinsmamma

Asked by Quentinsmamma at 12:46 PM on Dec. 22, 2010 in Pets

• It is cruel, especially if you plan on having an outdoor cat. If it go into a fight with cat or any other type of animal, it couldn't defend itself.

There is also no reason to declaw an inside cat, they can be trained not to scratch people and furniture.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 12:49 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• if it were an outside cat, no i wouldn't declaw it...inside cat, yes
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 12:52 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I think it's cruel and absurd. You buy a scratching post, spray cats w/water when they try to scratch the furniture, and everybody's happy and intact.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 12:58 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I don't ever worry about my cat getting into a fight with another animal and if he did happen to then he'd be just fine. Cats fight with their teeth and their back claws, front claws are mostly used for climbing and playing with their food after it's already dead. Obviously I'm not worried about it scratching the furniture, I'm worried about my kids. Have you ever tried to train a cat not to scratch a kid when it gets picked up funny or something?
    Quentinsmamma

Comment by Quentinsmamma (original poster) at 1:01 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I have never had a cat declawed and my kids/furniture/home was okay. I'd spare the expense and train the kitty instead :)
    Walker101

Answer by Walker101 at 1:08 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Declawing is banned here in the UK as it is INHUMANE. It's banned in so many other countries too but not in the US as i dont think there is enough public info available. Cats use their claws to help them balance...not just to claw people's children. Claws help their paws from sliding and can help tone shoulders etc. A declawed cat MUST be kept indoors all the time....they cant flee from danger by running up fences, they are restricted in how they can defend themselves, and often declawed cats can have behavioural problems due to feeling defenceless and fearful.

The procedure is only done here in cases of medical emergency. Provide your cat with toys, scratching posts and teach your children how to stroke the cat nicely, and only stroke it if it comes to them or wants a stroke. Dont put an animal through that just to make life easier for you.
    little.knickers

Answer by little.knickers at 4:05 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Cats have claws...if you dont want the claws then dont get a cat.
    little.knickers

Answer by little.knickers at 4:07 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Research the surgery itself... the reason why many people think it's cruel is because it's quite invasive surgery in terms of what is done to the paws. If you look into the procedure in detail, you might change your mind. Personally I wouldn't do it unless it was the difference between being able to keep the cat or get rid of it... it just seems extremely painful.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 4:18 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Its cruel and inhumane. Cats have claws for a reason. Getting a cat declawed would be like cutting your fingers off at the knuckle because thats exactly what they do.
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 4:58 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Well I would have said get the cat declawed if it was a strictly indoor cat but now that I hear how painful it is....nah. Just train it, Im sure you can train both the cat (not to claw the kids) and the kids (be nice to the kitty).
    Triscuit

Answer by Triscuit at 9:42 PM on Dec. 22, 2010