i cant afford it next year....

so i live a 17 hour drive from my family about 4 states away and every x-mas i go see them but im starting to think maybe i should start staying home and it just be my family me my husband and dd i cant afford to buy gifts for everyone AND THEN drive 300 in gas to see them how do i tell them i wont be there next year without hurting there feelings?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:02 PM on Dec. 22, 2010 in Relationships

• Just be honest and tell them you can't afford it. Surely they will understand.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 1:03 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Just tell them frankly how it is. They should understand. These are tough economic times for many people.
    IndigoRose

Answer by IndigoRose at 1:03 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• If they want to see you make them come to your place
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 1:03 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Just be honest with them its not that you dont want to see them you just cant afford it...they love you they will understand
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 1:03 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Just tell them you cant afford it.....Thats what we did....Last year the in laws paid for us to get up there.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 1:05 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• You need to be honest.

We have family flying out to see us and they want to do an amusement park... we said to forget a gift exchange since we are all putting out extra money on the amusement park.

Last year we flew to VT to see them and they said to forget the gift exchange since we had to buy 5 plan tickest and rent skiis (they have a ski hom in VT)

Just explain that your gift is the gift of traveling to see them. OR you will mail gifts... but you can not do both.
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't let you news be known until Christmas is long gone this year. Beginning in the spring start talking to people about it. The best thing we ever did was start making our own traditions with our kids. We spend a portion of the day with =family or friends but that's it. The truth is the best way to go...I just wouldn't drop the news right now.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 1:10 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Can you skip buying presents for everyone? Some families just draw names so that everyone only has one present. Or can you alternate years and have them come to you for Christmas sometimes?
    EverydayMomma

Answer by EverydayMomma at 1:10 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I agree with GrnEyedGrandma about waiting til this Christmas is over to bring it up though.
    EverydayMomma

Answer by EverydayMomma at 1:12 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Honesty is the best policy. I would rather than be understanding or even mad at the truth than at a lie.
    KayGia0704

Answer by KayGia0704 at 1:14 PM on Dec. 22, 2010