I'm concerned about my 3 yr old nephew, he doesnt eat anything, even if he doeesnt eat all day, and when u try to force him to eat he throws a fit and it takes like 2 hours to get him to eat half of a sandwich or something.Cont'd below

Also hes very emotional, if you ask him if he needs to go potty or if he's hungry or anything like that he starts crying and lays on the floor and closes his eyes and tried to ignore you, and when he also has a problem with yelling at his parents when they ask him to do something. I don't know what could be wrong with him he just recently started the emotional thing and yelling recently when him mother went back to work, but he has always had that eating problem. What could be wrong? Oh and he also has times where he'll be totally spaced out and wont blink and just stare off into space and its so hard to snap him out of it, its scary. Help me!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:02 PM on Nov. 9, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• He may have a mental or learning or emotional disorder. Only a Qualifyed Dr can tell you for sure. But id be pressing Mom to get him check out now while something can still be done and treatment would be easier than later when it will be harder.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/48748

vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 5:10 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• sounds like he just needs discipline to do what he is supposed to do. You could always try that.
    Anonymous

• I don't know much about what to tell you on the emotional stuff but, I have a 3 year old picky eater and he could go a whole day without eating and wouldn't care a bit. We have to fight to get him to eat dinner most nights but we try to make sure we always have at least one thing we know he likes at dinner or close at hand.
    ScorpioGirl

Answer by ScorpioGirl at 8:08 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• My theory on picky eating is that when a child is hungry enough they will eat. If they say refuse to eat lunch than that means that ehy can't have a cookie later or something sweet. I would also keep lots of fruit on hand for when he does get the munchies. I have found that if my sons get hungry during the day because they didn't eat their lunch I let them snack on fruits and veggies. We also don't enforce the clean plate club. If they get full then they are full...The other things you mentioned he is probably going through a stage and testing his limits. If you get concerned about his behavior. Take him to his doc {sister] then they cn do something or look into some things. Good Luck,
    nyteowl

Answer by nyteowl at 8:48 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• I would suggest trying to get him some counseling. If he is not jepordizing his health, I wouldn't worry too much about it but my Nephew was doing that too and it turned out that he had an abusive father.... it sounds like something is bothering him. He may be crying out for help.
    Goodthings

Answer by Goodthings at 2:00 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• My daughter has many days like that. She either does not eat anything all day. Or she eats tiny portions for lunch or dinner. I know it worries us too cause we are concerned she is not eating enough to stay healthy and stuff. They say though it is normal for their age. They will eat when they get hungry. Obviously though ya don't want to give them sweets if they haven't eaten anything healthy. They are also said to have tummies only as big as their fists. Best thing to do is ask a pediatrician about it. They usually know a lot about behavior at different stages as well as the medical stuff. We have a great one he has told us all the stuff to expect at each stage of her life. How much they are able to communicate and so on. He/she will be able to tell you if it is in fact normal or a serious behavioral problem.
    Bigmama4Jesus

Answer by Bigmama4Jesus at 7:40 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• My daughter is like that. My peds dr said to make a plate of food and put it on the table or a table her size like little tikes table. She is what they call a "grazer" she will get when she get's hungry even if its cold. Make snack plates with apples or a banana, crackers, things like that. Does he understand you? Get down on his level and try signing while talking, maybe that will help with comunication.
    mjnmkmommy

Answer by mjnmkmommy at 11:07 PM on Nov. 11, 2008