My 2 year old has never been a good sleeper & now it's worst. We are all exhausted and cranky. Has anyone used Melatonin?

Helenfisher

Asked by Helenfisher at 1:19 PM on Dec. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yes, but only because my son's doctor recommended it. Talk with your child's doctor to see what they say and what dosage. If you do use it watch out for side effects such as very vivid dreams. My son was only on it for a short time because the side effects were not worth it.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 1:23 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I would not use anything for a 2 year old, speak to the peditrician.

Maybe you should not nap him, sometimes they don't need a nap during the day, my daughter didn't and neither did my little boy....

I know it is all natural but I wouldn't do it... Just my opinion...
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 1:23 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• My son was never a good sleeper and I swear once he turned 2, he started waking like an infant 6 times a night again.. I tried every method I did as when he was an infant.. only thing that semi helped him after 6 months of battling is me ending up in his bed with him.. once he turned 3 I took him to his well check appt and they suggested melatonin.. apparently it takes up to a month to really get in your system and while it helped him go to bed.. he would wake up 3 hours completely rested and ready to start his day .. at 11pm.. no way.. this also ended up making him wake a minimum of 3 times a night still and when he woke up in the morning he was soo crabby .. I hear it works wonders for some, but not us...I tried it for 9 days and couldn't take it anymore.. around 2-1/2 we tried this serenite jr which is more homeopathic and it helps also, but you have to time it right according to mood and make sure you don't give it to
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:24 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Yea my so and i use it rather than all the other drugs out there ,being this is the main ingredient .For a child,i'd consult your doctor first.It is also used for anxiety purposes too.You are experiencing the terrible 2's!skip the nap,and take him to a park where he can run and jump and play ...tire him out! Yes this is a hard time right now but it will get better.Wait till he's asking to borrow the car!!!
    grismelda

Answer by grismelda at 1:24 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• contd.. him too early or it has the opposite affect and makes him hyper.. we get about 3-4 full night sleeps a month now - he turned 3 this Nov.. at this point I am used to it but it also is frustrating because he shouldn't be up THIS many times.. one time at this age could be different but... I don't know.. talk to your Ped.. maybe they could refer your son for a sleep study.. they said if the melatonin didn't work for us that they would do that for us but I haven't been brave enough to do that yet...
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:26 PM on Dec. 22, 2010