How much do you know about your home state?

Do you know the flag, state flower, bird, nickname, etc? Do you know the history? I know all of this for my state because we learned it in school. I was a bit surprised that on an early question asked about state nicknames, that most people didn't know what their state nickname was. So, I was wondering, how much do you know about your home state?

JeremysMom

Asked by JeremysMom at 1:21 PM on Dec. 22, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I know our state nickname is the Hoosier State and I'm a Hoosier! LMAO
    I have lived here most of my life and learned alot about it in school, too, but will be learning even more next week when we visit a new museum exhibit here call the Indiana Experience that gives you a living history of the state.....can't wait!
    Indyk

Answer by Indyk at 3:21 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I started school in Kentucky, we had to memorize all the counties! Then moved to Michigan, where I learned all about the state. After college, I moved to Florida, I now know lots because we try to travel to different parts of the state and the US with grandaughter, and she always wants to know all that information, so I have to really do my homework to keep up.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 1:29 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• For my home state, I know the nickname, song (it has 2), the bird & flower I'm not 100% sure about anymore... it didn't have an adopted animal until after I moved away, so I'm not sure what that is. The history? Maybe a little, but I couldn't recite it to you. I haven't read anything about it in years.

My adopted state, I know the nickname, song, flower, animal, a little bit of the history, but then I didn't grow up here so I think I can be forgiven, LOL.

Oh to answer:

Home state: Nickname: Volunteer State, Songs: The Tennesse Waltz and Rocky Top, the bird I think is the Robin and the flower I think is the Iris. Oops Googled and I got the bird wrong--it's Mockingbird. Everything else is right though, except apparently they have added more state songs to the list, LOL.

Adopted State: Nickname: The Lone Star State, Song: Yellow Rose of Texas, Animal: Armadillo, Flower: Bluebonnet.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 1:33 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Not as much as I could, I've moved around alot though (perk of the military) so my "home" state is always changing.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 2:05 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Where I was born and raised I would know all that for the same reason we learned it in school. We currently live in Washington and I could come up with the flag and the nickname and that is about it.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 1:25 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I live in Iowa and have all my life but for some reason I cant think of the state flower I know all the rest though.
    bellsandheels

Answer by bellsandheels at 1:28 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• yeah exciting info we are considered coloradans. I know all of this its exciting info

pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 1:33 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I know all that and more about my home state of NC, which is where I still live! We learned it all in elementary school and I got extra credit for memorizing our "state toast" as well. When I was in college I took a class on the history of NC (I attended school here as well).

Answer by missanc at 1:40 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Ohio, the Buckeye state. Red Carnation, The Robin. 88 counties. Birth place to 7 Presidents
    Ulysses S. Grant,
    Rutherford Hayes,
    James Garfield,
    Benjamin Harrison,
    William McKinley,
    William Howard Taft,
    Also home of Drew Carey, Arsenio Hall, Jamie Farr, Anita Baker, Katie Holmes and Danny Thomas to name a few.
    Birth place of the hot dog. Leading producer of green house plants in the country, and was once the glass capitol of the world. They call my home town, Toledo, the Glass City. Jamie Farr and Katie Holmes are both from Toledo. If you have watched M*A*S*H then you know Klinger, and about world famous Tony Packo's hot dogs.
    Warren Harding.

salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:52 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I know almost everything about Tx where we have lived for the past 20 years.
    meandmyshadow

Answer by meandmyshadow at 2:07 PM on Dec. 22, 2010