possible autism or normal toddler behavior?

jannellh4

Asked by jannellh4 at 1:24 PM on Dec. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Okay what are the behaviors?
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 1:25 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• You did not say anything?

Answer by louise2 at 1:26 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• oh i thought you would write what the behaviors were so we could help. that would help if we actually knew. go see a doctor if you have any concerns.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 1:27 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• If it's about lining things up and sorting them, I'm told that's normal. Mine did it. I just realized it says Toddlers 1-2, wow, so my daughter's no longer a toddler!
    HeartsCombined

Answer by HeartsCombined at 1:30 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• My son turned two in September. He is in speech therapy because his language is slightly delayed. His expressive language is delayed but his receptive is great. He is very social and is around children his age every day in a Toddler program. He does not have a lot of the autism symptoms. However, there are little things that I notice. For example, he gets frustrated when his toys don't do exactly what he wants them to. He will often pick one toy and carry it everywhere he goes. Yesterday, he received a gift called a pocket nativity. There are small flannel pieces that he carries around as a stack. One of the pieces was out of place in his stack and he became very upset. Overall, I am concerned because he will fix his attention on something for awhile, but then he will let it go. His doctor and the speech therapist think that he is basically on track. I just notice little things that I wonder about...
    jannellh4

Comment by jannellh4 (original poster) at 1:37 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I know that Toddlers frustrate easily in general so maybe I shouldn't be so concered. He also gets upset every now and then when his food touches. But... it is not all the time.
    jannellh4

Comment by jannellh4 (original poster) at 1:39 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• my daughters gets very frustrated when things don't "fit" she likes to put things in places in her little farm and then when she tries to get them out she gets very upset. sounds about right. she is not delayed in any way shape or form. she loves to carry toys around. she is like attached to her a blankie. she sleeps eats and even goes to daycare with it. well his attention span is getting longer and longer. he can sit and play for alonger periods of time with little distractions now.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 1:40 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Thanks... it is just that society has parents so concerned now about developmental delays and disorders. I need to remember that he is a toddler and frustration is normal.
    jannellh4

Comment by jannellh4 (original poster) at 1:48 PM on Dec. 22, 2010