I am running out of punishments that work, got any ideas?

I have a 16yr old who is supposed to paying his insurance and gas on his truck, but he is lazy. I never thought I would call him that. He has always been willing to help around the house and everything, but now he has a vehicle, he doesn't seem responsible. He blows his check before he pays his bills. Do you think it is too harsh to take the truck until he pays up?

MomofteensLisa

Asked by MomofteensLisa at 5:07 PM on Nov. 9, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• Not at all. You're gonna gave to do that to teach him. Tell him that he can have the truck on a monthly basis as long as he gives you the payment at the first ove EVERY month. Its only fair. Why should you have to do it for him? ITs a huge expense and if he is old enough to drive the truck then hes old enough to be responsible for it. GL
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 5:11 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• have* to do that.......of* every month hahah sorry for the typos! lol
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 5:12 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• And he is still underage so I would consider taking his paycheck from him and teaching him how to manage his money
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 5:14 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• the law says you can't drive without insurance. If he doesn't pay his insurance then he doesn't drive. plain and simple. Plus he cant get far without gas!

Answer by admckenzie at 5:26 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• Dont pay his bills or give him gas. Explaine the consequences of getting caught without insurance to him and tell him you will not bail him out of jail. Take the truck away if that's what it takes to get it in his head he needs to be responsible for his bills and privledges. With great privledge, comes great responsibilities.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 6:44 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• I had to take my sons car until he agreed to give me his check and set down with me every pay check and figure out how much he had to save every week. Then we would put it in an envelope and he gave it to me to save for him. And if he didnt give me his check I went and got the car the next time he went somewhere.He had to call when it was time to leave surprise the car was parked at someone elses house until after a week of me taking him to work and picking him up everyday. Then we set down and paid the bills together. I would then go pick up the car and let him try it again for a week. Have to practice tough love once in awhile. I kept the car and my name with an extra set of keys. When he grows up he will thank you for teaching him responisibility it is very important lesson to learn.
    nanalovesu

Answer by nanalovesu at 8:16 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• No I don't. I think it's perfectly right.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 1:11 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I do the same thing with my teen, question myself that is. I have a lazy 14 soon to be 15 year old son too. I love him to peices but like him, that is streching it. You know if you take the truck your stuck with transporting him. It never gets easier with mine he is always testing me.
    I envisioned we would be the mom son team and we would have all this love and understanding but lately it has not been going too swell. Good luck in whatever you decide, I am sure you will make the right decision for you and your boy.
    rosetoes

Answer by rosetoes at 1:31 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Heck no. Take the truck away. If he isn't responsible to pay for it, then he doesn't need it.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 12:27 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I paid my parents 50 a month to drive when I was in HS. My dad bought me a crappy car and that went toward paying him back and some of the insurance. If I didn't pay, they took the keys. It showed me some responsibility!
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 12:30 PM on Nov. 10, 2008