Does anyone here live/work/frequently visit Las Vegas?

I'm planning a trip and need insider advise please!

Indyk

Asked by Indyk at 1:45 PM on Dec. 22, 2010 in Travel

• It greatly depends on your budget. Obviously the newer/nicer hotels are going to be more expensive, but depending on the time of year you go you can usually get a deal. I suggest using website like travelocity.com, expedia.com....that way you can compare prices if you don't have your heart set on one place. You definitely want to stay on the strip...yeah other places have shuttles but if you're going to experience Vegas, you need to stay on the strip! There are a ton of buffets and restaurants in all the hotels. Usually we just walk around until we get hungry and then find a good place. Definitely see the Stratosphere, The Venetian/Palazzo, Ceasar's Palace, MGM, NY NY, and the water shows at the Bellagio. Honestly, the best way to experience Vegas is to walk through it! Just be prepared for a lot of walking. As for traps, avoid the people on the sidewalk trying to talk you into free shows, etc. Always, always, always a catch.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 2:09 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• there is SO much to do and see there! are you taking kids?
    you could go search stuff to do in vegas and come up with a list of things pretty easily!
    there is the old strip-now covered in the canopy that's pretty cool, the M&M's store, tournament of Kings dinner/show is awesom and fun ath the Excalibur, see the big kitties at MGM, the dolphins at the Mirage, the pirate show at TI...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 1:53 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• If you have a car, parking at all casinos is free, just tip. Mandalay Bay, Venetian, Paris buffets all very good. I loved all of Emeril's restaurants except the Sports Bar, terrible. Most coffee shop/cafes in casinos offer lots of food for a lower price. Orleans has a great one, plus they have several other good restaurants, but their buffet is terrible. Black Bear diner is a great place for breakfast. It's a locals place. If you're driving, go to Chinatown, great food, low prices. Terribles has good food, low prices. Every restaurant at Venetian is good. Are you on a strict budget? If not The Wynn is the best place to stay, in my opinion. Beautiful rooms, beautiful casino, great restaurants, terriffic pool. I don't like the downtown area, seedy, except that Freemont Street Experience is fun. Make sure you take a drive down the strip at night to see all the free shows, the fountains, the water show at Mirage, show at Treasure
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 2:57 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I visit there frequently, and I love it. You can go all out and have a lavish time, or go on a budget. One of the best deals is to stay at The Orleans. It's off the strip, but if you don't have transportation, they have shuttles. On the strip, I love the Wynn and The Venetian-higher priced. What do you need to know?
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 1:50 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I've lived here since 2005. What do you want to know about Las Vegas?
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:50 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• We visit there a few times a year. I don't know how frequent that is lol but I've been there often. What do you need to know?
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 1:55 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Here, this may help:  http://www.vegas.com/attractions/

JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:55 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• No kids, just adults. And obviously I can search online, but they only tell you what they want you to know. I want an insiders point of view!
    What are the best places to stay and why?
    What are the best places to eat and why?
    What are the Must Sees?
    What are the tourist traps to avoid?
    Tell me anything you think someone should know about Vegas!
    I have often found the best places are ones the locals know and love, but the tourists never hear of.......

Indyk

Comment by Indyk (original poster) at 2:00 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• just be aware that Vegas is not going to be cheap. Eating used to be but it isn't anymore. The best buffet we have found is the one at the Mandalay Bay kind of expensive-but SOOOO GOOD
    it just kinda depends on what you want/like to do. there is no way you could do it all in one trip
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 2:39 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• If you're going to see any shows, I really recommend seeing Rita Rudner. She's moving from Harrah's to Venetian in January. Also Penn & Teller at Rio and of course Phantom is really good, too. My favorite strip buffet is at Treasure Island, but if you get off the strip, check our Nora's Cuisine on Flamingo Rd.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:50 PM on Dec. 22, 2010