Gaining Weight

I have a stafford terrior and Iv had him for a year now but ever since I got him he seems to not be gaining any weight and no matter how much I feed him nothing works. In fact it seems that he is getting skinnier and it makes me sad to see him like that. What can I do to make him gain weight?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:08 PM on Nov. 9, 2008 in Pets

• Go to a pet store and take your little one in there with you. Explain the problem and they should be able to suggest a solution whether you should change the food he's eating or if you need to take him to the vet. It may be that the dog just burns too many calories to gain weight. My uncles dog is like that. He's really skinny, they feed him well, but he just runs and plays so much that he doesn't gain weight. I used to work at PetSmart and PetCo. They'll help!!! Good luck with your dog!!! ♥
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 6:21 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• i would take him to the vet and get his checked for worms, they will keep a dog from gaining weight because they steal all the nutrition out of the food, also make sure that you are feeding a high quality food, no dog chow, old roy, kibbles and bits....i recommend nutro, eukenuba, flint river(can only be bought from a rep, which i am lol www.Frrco.com/122889 ) or another high quality, you can go to www.dogfoodanalysis.com to compare how good a food is.

Rachel1786

Answer by Rachel1786 at 7:50 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• sounds like worms to me.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 10:52 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• He could have intestinal parasites like tape worms that eat the food as fast as your dog does. Take a stool specimen in to the vet for a ck. They can tell you in a few mins. if your dogs has worms. He also could have other problems so have him cked out by a vet to be sure he is ok. Good luck, and I hope he gets better soon.

doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 7:16 PM on Nov. 10, 2008