wanted to make chicken parmesan tonight, but...

realized im out of tomato sauce. i have a tiny jar of tomato paste, is there any way i can make a sauce out of that? i dont have anything to add to it like tomatoes, but i do have lots of seasonings. will it taste watery if i use water to make it "saucy"?

and one more probably "duh" question.. i havent made this in so long.. do i make the chicken with the sauce on it or pour it over when finished? lol

thanks :)

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 1:59 PM on Dec. 22, 2010 in Food & Drink

• spaghetti sauce? Can you run down to the store and pick a can up? One can of sauce I don't think will be enough.
    You make the chicken first and pour the sauce over it
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 2:01 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Also instead of water you can use a little chicken broth to make it more "saucy"
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 2:22 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Add just a little water to make it a sauce. Heat it with Italian seasonings or oregano and a tiny bit of basil and garlic. Pour the sauce over.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 2:00 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• what SweetLucy said!
    it should be fine that way ;)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 2:02 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Chicken Parmesan
    1 tablespoon unsalted butter
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    2 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
    1 egg
    2 tablespoons water
    1/3 cup all-purpose flour
    1 cup plain bread crumbs
    1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    ***For topping***
    1 can (6 ounce size) tomato paste
    1/4 cup water
    1/2 teaspoon minced onion
    1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
    1/2 teaspoon oregano
    1/2 teaspoon basil
    1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
    6 ounces fresh mozzarella
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
    Place butter and olive oil in a 15- by 10- by 1-inch jelly roll pan and place in oven to melt the butter, about three to five minutes. Rinse the chicken, pat dry and trim of all visible fat.
    Place breasts in clean plastic bag and pound to an even one-fourth inch thickness, or butterfly them if they are thick, by slicing them almost in half horizontally.

In a shallow bowl, mix egg and w
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 2:03 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• continued:

In a shallow bowl, mix egg and water thoroughly. In another shallow bowl, mix the flour, bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese.

Dip chicken pieces first in egg mixture, then in crumb mixture, coating well. Arrange breasts in prepared jelly roll pan. Bake uncovered 10 minutes.

For topping: Combine tomato paste, water, onion, garlic, oregano, basil and salt in a small saucepan; heat through. Turn chicken over in the pan; top each breast with 1 tablespoon sauce, a slice of mozzarella and another tablespoon sauce. Bake 10 minutes more, or until done and juices run clear.

SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 2:04 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Before you make anything you should always make sure you have the proper ingredients. I can tell you how my mother and grandmother and myself all make it.. we are Italian American so we are quite picky. We only use home canned tomatoes or crushed tomatoes in a can, we never use paste because it is very bitter and will make your sauce bitter and hide the flavor of sauce. When I make eggplant or chicken parm (actually I make them together in the same pan most of the time), I make a simple sauce out of garlic, crushed tomatoes, a little onion, basil, and salt and pepper...the longer it simmers the better it will taste. I then make the chicken by dipping it in an egg wash and then in a mixture made out of bread crumbs mixed with parmesan cheese, pepper, and dried basil.. I then fry it up and then I layer it all like a lasagna in a pan alternating chicken, sauce then cheese (moz and parm).. it is usually about 4" deep and yummy
    MamaJasmine

Answer by MamaJasmine at 4:52 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• oh and you should always use block parmesan cheese because it has more flavor and melts better than the dried out stuff in a can that looks like the foot shavings in my ped egg.
    MamaJasmine

Answer by MamaJasmine at 4:55 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Yeah I fry the chicken after it is dredged in Italian bread crumbs. I make my own sausce and I never used the tomato paste, it is bitter. Here is the thing if you want to use paste your gonna need to cook it in a small frying pan with some heat stirring it constantly. This will make it less acidic. HOwever it is not enough to make enough sauce to cover all your chicken. I usually put sauce under my chicken and then on top. (once it is fried)
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 6:42 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• i can run to the store but i dont want to lol i was hoping to try and get something out of this paste. lazy i know :)
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 2:02 PM on Dec. 22, 2010