Christians: where do we draw the line?

Ok, so while my hubby was at work he got a visit from one of our customers. She's a pretty nice lady, I'd say. She's Christian, and whenever she pays us a visit she takes it as an opportunity to witness. Now my hubby has repeatedly (and very kindly) told her that he does not share her beliefs and that he is happy this way. And so far she had respected that, up until now... This morning she stopped by the shop again. She came barring gifts by the dozen. I thought, "hey what a nice person!" Buuut, when my hubby opened the gifts it was full of Christian story books for our kids, a gospel cd for my hubby, a christian themed jewelry lock box for me, and more. Not to mention the Jesus wrapping paper and ribbons she gave us to wrap the kids gifts with. She said it was from the Lord. (I say - if the Lord knew us the way she knows him, then he woulda gave us food instead. We like to EAT, lol).

But seriously, my hubby found it pretty offensive for her to give those kind of gifts when it completely disregards our own beliefs. Although he and I do not see eye to eye with spirituality or religion, I agree with him on this one. He says creepy, I say she's being pushy. What do you all think?

ps he did try to give the gifts back, but she insisted we keep them. Then she quickly left.

sugahmamma

Asked by sugahmamma at 2:07 PM on Dec. 22, 2010 in Religious Debate

• She sounds like she is being pushy. You have already stated you do not share her beliefs and she should respect that. It does not mean you can't tlak about your differing beliefs with one another but IMOthis was crossing the line and an underhanded way to force her beliefs on you and your family.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 2:12 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I'd say both pushy and creepy.

Can he dump the stuff off at a charity or something?
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 2:12 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Box them up and donate them to charity take her aside and let her know you do have your own beliefes and you are grateful for her she is happy in her own beliefs but say thank you but no thank you
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 2:13 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• It is her right to give you whatever gifts she wants to, just as it is your right not to accept them. If you don't want them, donate them to a charity or to Goodwill or something.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 2:14 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• 1) is your husband an employee or is this his business

2) what kind of business is your husband in

3) is she a vendor, a customer, what.

This is VERY ODD behavior for a place of business.

Anonymous

• Wow yeah I wouldn't be upset I would have told her thank you and that you would be donating the gifts to someone who will appreciate the religious aspect of them. It is very pushy of her but to me it is not something worth getting upset about, she was very kind to bring something so I would just appreciate the nice gifts and I would take them to the nearest Salvation Army for donation.
    daisysrdeadly

Answer by daisysrdeadly at 2:16 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I'm Christian, but I would never force stuff on anyone. EVERYONE has their own CHOICE to believe or not believe and to live the way they want to live.
    I would box them up and take them to a church or somewhere where those gifts would be accepted or needed.
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 2:20 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Can he dump the stuff off at a charity or something?

Thats exactly what we plan to do. The gift of giving, pass it on!

sugahmamma

Comment by sugahmamma (original poster) at 2:20 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I would take them to a church in a poorer part of town. They can give them to kids that may not be getting christmas ans would share that form of belief so that it is well received.

Yes this is overly pushy. Just because you have the right to do something does not mean you should.

Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 2:24 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• anon, Im sorry but if you want me to share more info, then at least share your screen name/face. And you are right, it is odd, but its also Christmas time and ppl love to give this time of yr.
    sugahmamma

Comment by sugahmamma (original poster) at 2:25 PM on Dec. 22, 2010