Is this hypocritical?

DH thinks it is hypocritical of me to bring my children to church for the Christmas Eve candlelight service because I am not a Christian. I grew up in a Christian family and the Christmas Eve service was a part of our family traditions and I still find it beautiful and peaceful. I like to hear the nativity story and sing the carols. I don't agree with much of what the church does or stands for. I like the candlelight service as a Christmas tradition and want to bring the kids so they can enjoy it to even though I don't necessarily believe in Jesus in the same sense that the church does. My kids know that Christians are celebrating Jesus's birth at Christmas and go to church from time to time with my mom, so they still get the Christian viewpoint whether I bring them to church on Christmas Eve or not.

riotgrrl

Asked by riotgrrl at 2:27 PM on Dec. 22, 2010 in Religious Debate

• How is it hypercritical? What are his reasoning? He doesn't make sense to be honest. Ignore him and take your kids.
    Just because you're not active doesn't mean anything you still believe. Take your kids and enjoy yourself.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 2:29 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I don't think it is hypocritical. You should very well expose them to church so they can make their own opinion about their christianity! I think it is great that you have that special memory!
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 2:30 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• kinda,yeah
    Anonymous

• I so go for it. What does it matter what anyone else thinks?
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 2:30 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I think you should bring the kids to the service. I am not a Christian but also enjoy the music and every once in awhile I go to the mid night mass. These are your children so bring them up however you feel. God listens to your heart anyway.
    joanilene

Answer by joanilene at 2:32 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I wouldnt say hypocritical. It think that its a good way to keep your kids open to diverse belief systems, and I applaud you.

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 2:34 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• a lot of people do things, religious or not, out of tradition....because it's something they grew up with and have always done. I don't think it's hypocritical.
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 2:34 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Well I'm going whether he wants to come or not LOL. I just didn't get it. I would also bring my kids to a Hindu temple or a Mosque to participate in those celebrations if it appealed to me.
    riotgrrl

Comment by riotgrrl (original poster) at 2:34 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Is the church open and welcoming to all visitors? I don't see any reason you shouldn't go if you are respectful of others celebrating. Plus you are sharing this with your children.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 2:35 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• The way I see it, Christmas Eve services are more pageantry than anything. Go. Enjoy the music, enjoy the candles. It's no more hypocritical than a non-Christian enjoying Beethoven's Ode to Joy, or Michelangelo's Sistine Chapel.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 2:35 PM on Dec. 22, 2010