Any other parents who has a child with food sensitivities and allergies who won't drink water?

My son who is 8 yrs old won't drink water and I am at a loss for ideas on what to give him. Due to allergies and sensitivities he cannot have anything with food dyes or HFCS (high fructose corn syrup). He also cannot have milk. I have tried milk substitutes and he doesn't like them. With the exception of coconut milk which we plan to try. Anyways does anyone have any ideas on what I can try. All he wants to drink now is Sierra Mist Natural but even though it doesn't contain HFCS it has 37 grams of sugar in it. Plus he likes Capri Sun which has about 17 grams of sugar in it. I want to cut down on all the sugar he is getting. I wanted to get a flavored water but they have stuff in them that he cannot have . We did try the La Croix but he hated it. Any suggestions is appreciated.

cutie222

Asked by cutie222 at 2:30 PM on Dec. 22, 2010 in Kids' Health

• WATER - a kid does not not drink something unless they are allowed not to. My DD doesn't like milk at breakfast but she sure as hell drinks milk every morning. She is allowed pink milk (strawberry) for dinner but only if she has plain milk in the morning and drinks her whole cup.
    daisysrdeadly

Answer by daisysrdeadly at 2:36 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Tell the kid to suck it up. Eventually, the things he doesn't like now, he'll grow accustomed to. Either that or say "Drink water, and deal with it" Most kids would prefer juices or things that are sweet. What is important is that he stays hydrated. Sorry you're dealing with so many sensitivities. It does make things difficult. GL!
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 2:37 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• If I didn't make it clear my sons Dr. said to cut out all milk products due to sensitivies and these allergies/sensitivies are a relatively new thing so my son has had to cut out alot of things he likes lately which is hard for anyone much less an 8 year old. So I am trying to find things that are good that he can still have.
    cutie222

Comment by cutie222 (original poster) at 2:59 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Offer carbonated water with fruit (lemon/lime/orange) juice (fresh) squeezed into it.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 5:46 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• If you didn't give him any other options would he drink water?
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 5:09 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• Try with fuit in it. Make up a pitcher of water with raspberries, or cucumbers, lemons, grapes.. etc to naturally flavor the water
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 8:48 AM on Dec. 30, 2010