Do you Believe the Pledge should read “One Nation Under God”?

Hypothetically speaking, if it were on the ballot for a majority vote: Would you vote for the pledge to remain in it's ACTUAL state (since 1954) of:
'I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.'
Or would you vote for the original? Have you taught your children the Pledge of Alligiance? If so, which way do you teach them?

Some in congress want to enact the Pledge Protection Act. Would you write your Congressman in favor of this act?
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=h110-699

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 5:13 PM on Nov. 9, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• Keep it as it is. If people want to complain about it in schools then they can go ahead and stop having Christmas Break and Easter Break (I know they are called something different so no one is offended BUT they are there because of those religious holidays). Also they can stop teaching world religion in schools as well. Almost 10 weeks of my 11th grade I.B. History class was spent teaching all of the more popular religions of the world. Be careful what you wish for because you might just be taking out a ton of education in our schools. You'd have to take out the witch hunts because people talk about god, you'd have to take out quite a bit of history if you wanted to rid our schools of god.
    amyrw

Answer by amyrw at 8:59 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• I vote to keep One Nation Under God:

It has been said that, "The government of the United States is set up to honor the WILL of the majority while protecting the minority. If the majority of Americans believe in some type of God, and voted to keep, then I think the majority should win and the Pledge be Protected as "One Nation Under God".

http://undergod.procon.org/viewresource.asp?resourceID=67
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 5:16 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• I would vote to go back to the original. The minority is not being protected when our kids are hearing about religion in public schools.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 5:18 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• I think it should be the original. I dont think they should have changed it. They took away history when they changed it JMO
    When I was in middle school (and a bit of a rebel) I refused to do the morning "pledge" to the flag b/c of that part. I thought I shouldnt be made to say that.
    My children are still young so they do not know it right now.
    Anonymous

• I also did not say the pledge in mid/high school because of the God factor, and boy oh boy did that cause some havok (I went to school in a VERY religious town).
    sophiafarris

Answer by sophiafarris at 5:22 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• I vote to keep "One Nation Under God"
    lucandpepsmom

Answer by lucandpepsmom at 5:26 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• "In God We Trust" is on the nation's currency, the Declaration of Independence refers to God several times, and the Supreme Court begins each session with the words "God save the United States and this honorable court."

Didn't Federal Court rule in 2005, that it was unconstitutional to recite the Pledge of Allegiance in public schools because of its inclusion of the phrase "under God."

So this question DOES NOT APPLY TO SCHOOLS.. Just the actual WORDING... THanks

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 5:32 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• Yes, that would mean if the wording was kept the same, then schools could not say it...

OR....

DO you think if it is brought back to it's Original Wording, then should children be Mandated to say the Pledge in it's Original State?
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 5:34 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• BTW, I am trying to get some basic opinion data for a research debate topic ... Thanks to everyone for your input thus far... And thanks for keeping it civil... :)
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 5:36 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• I vote for "One Nation Under God".
    VAXiDAsh

Answer by VAXiDAsh at 5:37 PM on Nov. 9, 2008