Was this wrong or am I over-reacting?

I volunteer to mentor a girl in third grade. They had a Christmas party the last day of school. KIds wore pajamas, had pizza, real cute. Now the teaches says it's time to open presents that she got them, but then she announces that they have to wait, "I get to go first". She proceeds to open gifts that were given her by some of the children's parents. She slowly opens each one, then has the child come up front and she gushes thank you, thank you. Very nice. Then I realize that many of the children have gotten very quiet, and are looking very sad. The majority of these kids are from very low income, and it dawns on me that there are 18 kids in the class and about 6 gifts for the teacher. What was she thinking? Finally she passes out gifts for them. She gave them each a small book. I have never seen anything like this before.

SweetLuci

Asked by SweetLuci at 2:31 PM on Dec. 22, 2010 in

• That's ridiculous. I teach in a very low income school where my gifts are homemade cards and knick knacks from around the house - I'm make sure I let each child know how appreciative I am, but never make the others feel as if they've done anything wrong by not bringing a gift. She should be ashamed of her self!

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 2:35 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• That was mean!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:32 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• oh wow i agree what was she thinking!
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 2:33 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• WOW some people
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 2:34 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Shame on that teacher. She could have opened her gifts, but she should have waited until dismissal and thanked the children quietly.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 2:35 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I agree it was out of line and the more thoughtful thing to do would have been to thank those children who brought a gift less publicly as to not make the other kids feel bad.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 2:36 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• That was very mean. They need to look at the teachers to when they try to find out where the kids learn how to bully other kids!!
    aheuszel

Answer by aheuszel at 2:36 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• In the past I've always seen the teacher thank the children privately, quietly, being thoughtful of the ones who didn't bring a gift, so I was speechless when this happened. I don't know this teacher well, but I was just flabbergasted at this.
    SweetLuci

Comment by SweetLuci (original poster) at 2:40 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• That was really unprofessional!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I feel so sorry for the kids. If she taught at catholic school she sould be reported to the diocese.
    mamacita69930

Answer by mamacita69930 at 2:45 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Yeah, that seems a little insensitive of her.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 4:55 PM on Dec. 22, 2010