Help! My 5 year old hits, lies, whines and is generally driving family crazy!

My 5 year old is whining so much my ears are bleeding. She hits her 10 year old sister and lies about doing it. She yells, screams and cries when I leave to go anywhere without her. She will hold onto my clothes until I pry her fingers loose and cries MaMa at the top of her lungs. Her answers are usually done with yelling and when I tell her she needs to apologize, she yells she's sorry. We give her time outs in her room and she opens the door when I tell her not to. I am running out of patience and I don't think yelling at her is a good way to keep her from yelling. Anyone have some suggestions?

javabean491

Asked by javabean491 at 5:16 PM on Nov. 9, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Call super nanny lol. Don't let her get the best of you. She wants a reaction, so don't give it to her
    Anonymous

• relax and be more understanding. just tell her "lying isnt cool" and that you wont be mad at her, that hitting just isn't right or acceptable. about the whole attachment thing, that sucks.
    gracellen

Answer by gracellen at 5:54 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• I had one who loved to yell and scream at the top of his lungs-i got out a squirt bottle. Shocked him enough that he stopped long enough to hear me. He sure didn't like the suirt bottle and would get mad but I got his attention!
    auntj

Answer by auntj at 8:43 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• just relax,take deep breths and calmly say to her i am not talking or looking at you untill you talk to me properly,this does work.my sister had this problem and did this and over time it works,just keep calmly saying to her and she will stop.as for the clingyness calmly push her aside and say no i need space this works also,ignore what she is saying and after one warning if you do not stop and take away a favourite toy or tv show for a week.it does work.my neice is now 7 and is the perfect lil angel,she did this when she was 5 and stopped after about 2 consistant months of hard work,but she got there.i hope this helps you

cruizymum

Answer by cruizymum at 3:42 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Dr Ray Guarendi...
    and lots and lots of consequences and consistency.
    mykidzmom-1

Answer by mykidzmom-1 at 8:37 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I am having some of the same issues, if you find anything that works let me know. Sigh!
    momof3319

Answer by momof3319 at 10:26 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I am wondering if she still has some separation anixety going on? My daughter did for quite some time as well, and what worked for us is to let her know I would be going to run an errand and around what time I would be back. I would write it for her on a piece of paper..for instance 1:30 and told her to look for those numbers on the clock on the microwave. It seems silly but it really worked for her not to be throwing a fit when I would leave. I wish you the best of luck...I know it's hard.
    lilymama03

Answer by lilymama03 at 12:26 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Has your daughter been tested. My son has everything your describing. He yells and is hitting and afraid of noises afraid to be by himself. We had him tested he was diagnosed as PDD> Pervasive Development Disorder High functioning Autism. He is on medicine now Resperdral. It helps but he still acts out. I hope this will help you.Momsluvfor2sons Tammie.
    momsluvfor2sons

Answer by momsluvfor2sons at 4:50 PM on Nov. 11, 2008