Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 Bumps

Hubby asked for divorce and now I need help as a single mother Help!

Hubby recently asked for a divorce, and I moved back in with my mother. I am so thankful to be here, but I simply need my own space. I have a job as a contract worker and have no work until the middle of January. I applied for housing and I am on a waiting list for 1-6 years! Uh hello I need housing sooner than that! Sooo I am looking for any information..... :) Im done being sad about my husband leaving and I need to get my butt into gear for my son!


Asked by CindyLou122 at 2:55 PM on Dec. 22, 2010 in Money & Work

Level 9 (300 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (11)
  • I know you need space (I also lived with my parents for a few years) but it might be better to stay with mom for awhile so you can save up and not be struggling constantly. And don't forget to file for child support, if he pays it could be helpful- good luck =)

    Answer by skittles1108 at 2:58 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

  • This is a terrible thing to go through and I am sorry that you are going through it. I agree with skittles and think that it is very fortunate that you are able to move in with family. And that it may be the best place until you are able to move on your own. I just think that there is a difference between need and want. You do not NEED housing, you WANT to have your own place. There are people out there who are truely homeless and need housing. IMHO, you have a place to live and it may be better to stay there and get back on your feet so when you do move out you will be better able to support yourself and not struggle all the time. And definately make sure you get the child support and maintence (if allowed) - Best of luck to you.

    Answer by sue118 at 3:20 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

  • I rented basement apartments for YEARS - they are cheaper, utilities often inclued, have a yard most times, and usually totally seperate enterance and everything!
    Good luck!!

    Answer by mommymeg03 at 3:24 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

  • Many housing programs will honor a letter from certain people stating you are homeless. Here, if you're staying with someone until you can find a home - you're considered homeless. Letters from a behavioral heatlh agency, a pastor/Sr Clergy, DHS, saying you're recently homeless will work and the waiting list isn't such an issue. That might be an option for you.

    I'm sorry you're going thru this and hope it gets better soon!

    Best of Luck!

    Answer by AAAMama at 3:02 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

  • file for child support and if everyone is comfy with it, stay with the family to you can manage yourself on your feet and save up!!

    Answer by gottalovemal at 3:23 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

  • I'm so sorry! If you would like some information on a work from home opportunity that is safe & sustainable and that you can do on the side let me know. I know it may not be a good time to start it, however, it may be a good fit for you later on down the line when things settle down a bit.

    Answer by greensavvymama at 5:35 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

  • I am so sorry you are going through this! Make sure you file for child support as soon as possible. That might be enough to get you in your own apartment.

    Until then make sure you are saving up as much money as possible for an emergency fund.

    Sorry you are going through this.

    Answer by Erica_Smerica at 7:31 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

  • I am so sorry, but good for you for being so brave & independent. He needs to pay child support! Go to the courthouse & fill out forms-you should get 1/3 of his pay! That should tie you over! :))))

    Answer by NicolesMommy at 2:56 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

  • I would get settled in a job before you find an apartment

    Answer by rkoloms at 11:12 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

  • Who has cutody of your kids? If you're the one taking care of them, you should have the house and he should have had to move out. After the divorce is final, you should get child support and maybe allimony if he makes a lot more salary-wise than you do. You might also want to look for a more stable job.

    Answer by HotMama330 at 11:34 AM on Dec. 23, 2010