So what's the difference between daycare and preschool?

I read some people say a preschool sounded like a daycare. If they are certified teachers IMO that's a school.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:02 PM on Dec. 22, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• There are very few states that require a preschool to have certified teachers. Now, Pre-K is different. Most states require their pre-K teachers to be certified. Of course every state is different in what they call their preschool/pre-k/daycare. In my state, daycare is from 6 weeks-24 months. Preschool is for 2-4 year olds and Pre-K is for 4 and 5 year olds (depending on their birthday).

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 3:06 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Right I agree. Thanks!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:08 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• A true preschool setting is educational. I worked in 3 daycares and one, it was a KinderCare, was phenonemal. A great preschool is going to have daily lesson plans, and they should be posted for the parents to view. There will be a weekly lesson theme, and then sometimes a monthly theme broken down to the weeks. 2 circle times a day. 2 story times. An art activity. And the play centers also can change to the theme of the lessons....but that is when you have a teacher willing to put the time and energy into it!
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 3:11 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Some are very similar in what they cover... teaching pre-school stuff. I think daycares are more flexible about "filling time" and not necessarily teaching anything.

I'm a licensed childcare provider, if that helps. :)

Jambo4

Answer by Jambo4 at 3:12 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Many daycares (not necessarily in-home) have an age appropriate, pre-school component. Part of the day is dedicated to age-appropriate learning, and the remainder to free play, napping and eating.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 3:12 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• The word "daycare" implies basic childcare for children while their parents work, but I think most daycare centers, and many in-home daycares too, now offer a preschool curriculum in addition to basic childcare. My twins attend a daycare with a preschool curriculum, so they spend a portion of each day doing learning activities; they are in the "preschool" class.  A facility that is only a preschool usually has a shorter day and/or week and focuses most or all of their time on learning activities.  I think some people believe that a daycare/preschool combination is inferior to a facility that is only a preschool, but I don't think that is necessarily true in all cases.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 3:23 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Around here daycares are classified as taking infants. My son preschool does NOT take infants. You start at 3 years old, thematic units, circle time, art time, pe time, letter of the week, etc.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 3:28 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• daycare is more of babysitting for when parents work. Preschool is a school. My in home daycare is also a preschool. But I think this is unusual.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:39 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• pre-school doesnt have to be certified anything, but daycare is where they watch kids and pre-school is more educational, building the child for school
    gottalovemal

Answer by gottalovemal at 3:50 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• day care is taking care of your child or children they play nap and have there bottles or food and preschool is teaching, routine, activities, and the teachers have caredentals in child develement
    faith1174

Answer by faith1174 at 4:44 PM on Dec. 22, 2010