BPA free bottles? I'm freaking out!

I was just reading an article about BPA in plastic baby bottles and I'm freaking out!! I have been using bottles for 8 months that I received at my baby shower. I don't know if they said BPA free or not! What do I do? I want to try and ween her off the bottle at a year anyway, but should I toss my current bottles and go buy new ones? Is this BPA really bad for her?

amyofthejungle

Asked by amyofthejungle at 5:29 PM on Nov. 9, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Relax! Right now, the BPA-fear is over a precaution. The majority of bottles for the past FOREVER have not been BPA free, and it's just fine! I honestly believe that, in a few years, they'll say it's fine and the hysteria was over nothing, just like how it USED to be tummy to sleep, ya know? I wouldn't risk upsetting your daughter by having her get used to a new bottle just to take it away in a few months.

For the record, I do not use BPA-free bottles. I did thorough research on every item I registered for, and chose the bottles I felt would be best for my baby. I'm very happy with my decision, he's doing great!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 5:39 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• what is BPA? should i be worried?
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 6:06 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• BPA-Free Baby Bottles - Which Baby Bottles Don't Contain BPA?

Recent reports indicate that BPA in plastic baby bottles could cause harm to children. If you're looking for BPA-free baby bottles, check out this list of ...
    babyproducts.about.com/od/feedingdrinks/tp/BPA_free_baby_bottles.htm
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 6:19 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• If the bottles you are using are made of the crystal clear hard plastic, they MAY have BPA in them. You can check the manufactuer's website to find out.
    If the bottles you are using are not crystal clear, then they don't have BPA in them.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 7:11 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• I did the same thing.. went through my kitchen tossing everything that wasn't BPA free...
    Some Parents choice bottles are bpa free. along with Playtex, Avent, Born Free, Adiri and glass bottles ...Also the sippy cups too,, We use Munchkin brand they are bpa free, and the Avent and born free are to there is some Gerber Cups that are BPA free..
    Gerber Pacifiers and Gum Drops are BPA free
    I would Call the company and ask them.. They will tell you...
    emturner

Answer by emturner at 7:27 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• if you are really concerned.. Babies R Us has a program where you can bring in your bottles and exchange them for BPA Free ones.. I'm not sure if its everywhere so call your local store to find out..
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 7:46 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• I was worried about that too but I did my research and learned that BPA is released when the plastic is heated so as long as they are not heated up with the formula/breastmilk inside the bottle than the baby does not ingest it. BPA is a chemical they use in plastics and some scientist somewhere said it may cause cancer...along with the thousands of other chemicals/products that all of us ingest everyday! It's just a precaution, not a death sentence. Most of my baby's bottls are BPA free but a few aren't and I'm not concerned.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 8:35 PM on Nov. 9, 2008