Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

Is there a way to adopt a baby from the mom directly

My husband and I are looking to adopt a baby. I had to have a hysterectomy due to cancerous cells and we were not ready to end having children. Is it possible to adopt a child from a mother who does not want the baby without going through the agencies? I know obviously there needs to be legal paperwork involved. We would go as far as supporting the mother, let her stay with us until she gives birth and then we adopt the baby.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 3:34 PM on Dec. 22, 2010 in Adoption

Answers (21)
  • I believe you can through a private attorney.


    Answer by Christine0813 at 3:36 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

  • Without the HIGH costs?

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:38 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

  • You can from a private attorney, however, just be prepared for disappointment. One of my mom's friends did this. They provided the girl her own apartment, health care cost, food, etc. Then when she gave birth she decided to keep the baby. A month later she gave the baby up for adoption to another couple.


    Answer by JeremysMom at 3:38 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

  • Wow...that's you know where I can find someone that wants to do this?

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:40 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

  • There is a way. There r always kids who get pregnant who want to give up the baby. U get an attorney who specializes in adoptions,for the legal paperwork. As far as supporting the mom goes,her living with u is not allowed. U can help her pay her monthly rent as far as support goes. Your attorney should know all about it. I know people who were lucky enough to have a sister who was a social worker and she knew of a teenager who did not want the baby and her sister really wanted to be a mom. The woman met with her kind of like an interview and they hit it off. The mom to be wanted her and her husband to adopt the baby. She was two months pregnant at the time. She was assisted with rent and groceries. The baby was born in late spring and he was the most beautiful and precious baby she ever saw in her life. Do u have anymore questions? Message me please. U don't need to be anonymous it will be just u and me in the talk

    Answer by dancer at 3:44 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

  • What do u consider high costs? Some attorneys want $1000. It is well worth it to have your dream full filed. Remember agencies want between $15,000 and $20,000 just to start!

    Answer by dancer at 3:46 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

  • Why not go on a waiting list of adoption homes. Go get on a list of children newly set into an orphanage. If you are just looking to cover the pain of losing a child it's admirable and you could get a baby from a relative who will not mind giving you one if they do a serroget planned pregnancy but that is where she carries your husbands fertilized ( situation!) in her uterus. This is also a backfire type of pregnancy and you can't control what is happening. Ask in prayer what is the best thing to do and wait (patiently) if that is possible, I feel for you, hopefully things will get better soon.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:55 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

  • Ask your OB for resources too. They are often in contact with other doctors and lawyers who deal with this. Good luck!

    Answer by elizabr at 5:21 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

  • Seriously...OP, you are not being serious here are you, I mean really you're not? Quote; "Wow thats you know where I can find someone to do this"? SERIOUSLY? Grow up, get serious,before you embark upon ANY type of adoption! Many Blessings, for you will need them, CJ~

    Answer by ceejay1 at 5:54 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

  • I adopted my son through his birth-mother. We met and discussed the adoption and agreed on an open adoption, and all of the other things were worked out. We had an attorney do the paperwork for us. We already had a homestudy because we had been foster parents. We went through an attorney that did the adoptions for the foster adopt program. The legal fees were only $1900. However, that was 13 years ago, so I am sure that they are higher now.
    So yes, if you find someone who is wanting to give up her child for adoption, yes, you can work with her. The only thing doing it this way, is that there is a slightly higher risk of the mother deciding she wants to keep the child. It worked out fine in our case though.

    Answer by Tawneekitn at 6:51 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.
close Cafemom Join now to connect to other members! Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN