Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do you do when your 12 year old refuses to stay in school and school seems to send him home

He is autistic and Bipolar and has fits, he is on Meds and on a changed schedule. Its frustrating. How do you keep him in class and how do you get school on your side?

Answer Question

Asked by Leeli12410 at 3:39 PM on Dec. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

Level 6 (143 Credits)
Answers (9)
  • Are you working with the IEP specialist in your district? If not contact the district office and ask to speak to the Special Education needs specialist...If you are then they are not doing their job I would speak to district supervisor. They are suppose to help you keep him in school.

    Answer by 4_28_bbboy at 3:41 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

  • he should have an aide w/ him to encourage him and take him into the hall to settle down when he gets too over stimulated!! would headphones help, is he noise sensitive?

    Answer by hibbingmom at 3:46 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

  • I agree with first answer, there should be a team in place at the school helping you, including a special ed teacher, IEP liason, the principal and maybe a speech therapist, physical therapist, occupational therapist, counselor, etc. For getting the school on your side, approach it like you would trying to get anyone else on your side. Meet with everyone who is involved, someone will stand out as being more of a partner and advocate for you. Ask for help, show them/tell them what you are already doing to help, and make your goals clear. If he's getting kicked out, he is not in the right setting. This is the school's job to make sure he's in the right kind of classroom, or to refer you to a school that can serve his needs.

    Answer by whatthewhat at 4:13 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

  • There is a IEP team invovled. They remove him from classes, they have done everything to keep him there. They are suggesting being in the police due to the damage he causes when he has a fit. Yesterday he locked himself in a locker and they could not get him out. I have the school working with his psychiatrist and the only answer is send him home. He has his very own teacher, this just started and I am trying to figure out what caused his change. I don't know what to do about it anymore.

    Comment by Leeli12410 (original poster) at 4:17 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

  • obviously something is going on that is making school more uncomfortable for him... but sending him home is NOT the answer. If he has an IEP then it needs to be worked on and tweaked until they find a way that works for him.
    Maybe the meds are not right but also SOMETHING is going on. And NO they can't just send him home... seriously that's why he has an IEP and he has a RIGHT to a FREE and APPROPIATE EDUCATION (FAPE) in the Least Restrictive Environment (LRE)... Homebound is as restrictive as you get. HELL NO!!!!
    Tell them that you are willing to work your part but the MUST to their jobs and help figure this out... sending him home is NO WAY and btw they CANNOT even suspend him for over 10 days w/o showing that its not b/c of his disability.
    They are out of bounds.

    Answer by MamiJaAyla at 4:43 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

  • Look up your right under IDEA. Look up FAPE, LRE and Manifistation Meetings and walk in their with all your rights and responsiblities and lay your cards on the table and tell them either we get a handle on this NOW or I WILL BE BACK with an advocate and we will be in court.

    Answer by MamiJaAyla at 4:44 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

  • Aw man, that sucks. Good luck figuring out what has changed for him. Def look into the meds, the wrong dose (high or low) can cause strong reactions. Were there any changes in the staff or kids in his class? Is there anyone who is able to talk to him and get this kind of information from him?

    Answer by whatthewhat at 6:58 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

  • does your area have a specialty school ??? I know where I live they recently opened an autism specialty school...I believe its called the BAcot academy....sometimes schools like that are your best daughter has aspergers and is in a autism program at her middle school but they recently had a boy that had issues and was kicked out of the school and is now going to the specialty school I mentioned.....of course you can try and work with the school hes attending and see if his meds need to be what you have to do!

    Answer by michaux at 8:03 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

  • Thank You everyone! We have an IEP but its a joke. I fought hard to get him in there an extra hour, only thing is he is at the high school and not among peers his own age. He has a Aide that goes to each class with him and if she is not in there is no one to go to class with him, (Thank You Gov. Walker) I had him committed into an institute to have his meds checked last month. I am not sure if that is helping or not. I know what made him blow up and that was the original Special Ed teacher physically abusing the kids.Hunter took the brunt so the others did not get hurt or hurt the teacher. They do have older children who agree this was happening before this year. The teacher is not working (fired) and she is not eligible for unemployment. She is fighting it all. I won't go after the school, I just want a Good teacher for these kids. But if she is found guilty I think I am gong to go after her finacially. Is that wrong?

    Comment by Leeli12410 (original poster) at 10:10 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.