Does this surprise you? Shocked the heck outta me.

Break out the recorders! Don't let this one get away!

If I didn't watch it with my own eyes I might not believed it possible: Televangelist and former Baptist minister Pat Robertson making a cogent argument on alternatives to arresting and incarcerating citizens who use drugs, with a clear emphasis on legalizing the possession of a few ounces of cannabis.

The 700 Club segment on alternatives to crime helps promote a new right-of-center organization that seeks to actively lobby for reform of the criminal justice system principally as a poor use of scant public funds called Right on Crime. Notable conservative activists such as Americans for Tax Reform's Grover Norquist, American Conservative Union's David Keane and Prison Fellowship Ministries' Pat Nolan are spearheading this important new front in the now 40-year-old effort to reform cannabis laws.

Also, with unbelievable karmic timing, Pat Robertson endorses ending Cannabis Prohibition for possession of a few ounces at the 4:20 mark of the video.

Virginia, there is a Santa Claus.

Friday

Asked by Friday at 4:13 PM on Dec. 22, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• YAY!!!!

Answer by older at 4:14 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Friday

Comment by Friday (original poster) at 4:14 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I believe hell just froze over! Grab your skates!
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 4:33 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• If it's only made for that small of an amount, the next thing will be for legal anything at any amount, nothing will be too much. Why not just let all drugs be legal and making them at home too. For that matter, we are already selling liquor and cigs. I'm sure this to be way to controversial and non stop. This is not the issue that needs to happen now-- nor the time for the issue at anytime since most things aren't handled by those in charge it's pushing through the lines and those that are stepping on toes to get these things passed as legal. Any ruffling of feathers in these gray areas of drugs limitations getting higher is bad.

Now if someone is in for some time for offenses based on having been using, selling, what have you, then mostly let them have less sentencing because most of this going in for lengthy terms for such small things as possession of small amounts first and second timers shouldn't be put into co
    Anonymous

• I'll bet you anything someone in his life is using medical marijuana - that's generally what makes someone like Pat switch gears.

Can't wait to see the feedback from his congregation!
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 4:37 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• into courts custody prison or any of the criminal justice system. If the drugs are made in such quantity that they are just causing way too much trouble have them put into counseling even for that, and perhaps then, it would be explained why they are into this in the first place. Then evaluate or review their counseling, and have them put into a program, job, ''nice'' rehab with things to improve not deter them from being considered worthy or honorable. People aren't dogs. Most of them are or were nice and should not be dumbed down and left to systems. Programs create jobs, and they aren't fooling the people when the programs are useless programs geared to having them fail. Now isn't a time to just increase drugs use, or give people more incentive and fuel to feel dumbed down.

How about making more programs for those who "Want'' and schools for others who can be schooled not to deem them incapable.
    Anonymous

• Anon, there is no evidence that drug use or abuse would increase with legalization. I certainly don't know anyone just waiting for drugs to be legal so they can party. I, and many others, DO support ending the whole bs war on drugs.

Prohibition is failed policy, it does not work. We should have learned that the first time around. Drug abuse is a medical or mental issue and should be treated as such not criminal.

Friday

Comment by Friday (original poster) at 4:46 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Not sure if his endorsement is good or bad. It depends on perspective I guess. Honestly plenty of people are using pot illegally. Is it a gateway drug? Maybe. Alcohol could be as well. How many addicts abuse alcohol and heavy drugs? I don't have stats but my guess is plenty.

Put the same restrictions on it as alcohol and tax it up and down. Cost may prohibit underage usage.
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 6:15 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• So, NOW Pat Robertson is a HERO and not some religious hack or some other colorful name I've heard you call "X-ians" ???

Oh brother......

eye rolling

Yes, Virginia there IS a Santa Claus AND an Easter Bunny!

SavageGrl

Answer by SavageGrl at 7:35 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Never called him a hero or anything of the sort. I'm actually a little creeped out that I agree with him on something. Just saw this article posted and thought it was interesting. Certainly nothing I would ever expect. I have no problem with Christians or any other religions as long as they keep their holy book out of my govt. No tolerance for extremists.

Friday

Comment by Friday (original poster) at 7:39 PM on Dec. 22, 2010