Teen Mom

Recent studies have shown that these reality shows are to thank for a decrease it teen pregancies. Yeah right, since kids are trying to get pregnant so they can be on the show. That all makes sense now huh?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:19 PM on Dec. 22, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I don't think kids are trying to get pregnant to get on those shows. I actually DO believe watching those shows, and seeing the struggles those girls go through helps kids think twice about getting pregnant, to be honest. Either way, the main responsibility for teaching kids about safe sex should be the parents, period. As long as teenage pregnancies are down (and they are) it's a GOOD thing, no matter what the reason is.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 4:24 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• LOL..who knows why teen pregnancy is supposedly down..I highly doubt its cause of the shows tho...
    MaiasMommy619

Answer by MaiasMommy619 at 4:32 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I doubt the shows have anything to do with it. I think some parents are just getting wiser and teacher their kids about safe sex.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:22 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I don't think that girls are trying to get preggo to get on the show. There are enough teen pregnancies in the U.S. I think it's a positive thing especially when everyone walks out on the mom's including their best friends.
    Proud_Mommy05

Answer by Proud_Mommy05 at 4:23 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• These shows don't look glamorous to me. Most of them look miserable, crying a lot, fighting w/ their boyfriends, their moms.
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 6:35 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Actually my 14 year old watches it and she is against teen pregnancy so not all teens want to go out and get pregnant.
    mollgirl

Answer by mollgirl at 4:21 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Actually pregnancies are down across the entire US and it is more the economy than anything else.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 4:21 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I read it was both the show and economy that has had an effect on decreasing teen pregnancies. Who could know really? I don't know many teens but all the ones I know have no interest in getting pregnant at all, accidentally or on purpose, and certainly not because of some tv show. If that is reason some are doing it, they haven't been watching the show very well.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 4:24 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I have to wonder who parents these stupid kids. Who in their right mind would get pg at 16 on purpose for a tv show? What the hell have these parents been doing for 16 yrs>>>>? I have a 16 yr old and she wants to go to formal, she wants to make the varsity sports team, she wants to go away to college, she wants to plan her future.... not get knocked up as a teen and be completely stuck in her life choices. We have helped her to see her value more than lying on her back with some pimple faced teen and kicking her legs up to get on tv.
    Anonymous

• I read an article that attribute it to the shows and the economy as well. I didn't see the study though. I do like to think that maybe teen pregnancy is down slightly can also be contributed to parents actually doing their job and talking to their kids not only about sex, but relationships, consequences to their decisions, building their self-esteem and self-respect. My boys have watched the MTV show with me along with Secret Life and I use it as another opportunity for a conversation starter. My boys have no desire to get someone knocked up and have babies before having a chance to enjoy their life. I don't see the shows as a negative but a sole contributing factor to a decline in teen pregnancy not likely.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 12:04 PM on Dec. 23, 2010