giving up dairy

I have cut back on dairy but need to give it up and was wondering if anyone out there is dairy free and what are goodreplacements. I do love my greek yogurt! AND cheese but have cut back on cheese.

hill2

Asked by hill2 at 4:24 PM on Dec. 22, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• My son has a problem with dairy, he does drink some soymilk, but I have to say that I haven't found any GREAT replacements for the dairy products....well, we do all like Tofutti "ice cream" sandwiches. Beyond that, I've learned to make a lot of recipes that never required dairy in the first place. Asian foods don't use dairy, I make a cassoulet that they all love that has no dairy, oven fried chicken with a nice savory rice and salad....you get the idea. I plan my menu differently so that we just don't need the dairy.

Someone else may have a better answer, but that has worked pretty well for us. Just experimenting with new recipes that don't require milk or cheese, has opened up some new possibilities. And, as a bonus we are eating lower fat!!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 4:31 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• My DD has trouble with dairy, but not severe.

I get her soy milk and a grain-based milk substitute. Also, soy cheese. Being a teen, it's hard for her to go without teen favorites like mac & cheese, pizza, and grilled cheese. That's why I went for the non-dairy cheese substitutes.
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 4:54 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• why do you have you give it up all together? Perhaps you should just cut it back alot and take viamin d and calium supplements.
    hendrickson

Answer by hendrickson at 5:06 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Almond milk is delicious.
    Try goat cheese.
    wellnessgirl

Answer by wellnessgirl at 8:15 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• i do drink almond milk will have to try gaot cheese then I think I have seen vegan cheese so have to try it....
    hill2

Comment by hill2 (original poster) at 8:21 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Almond Milk is great!
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 10:36 AM on Jan. 5, 2011