Is it better for my kids to go to daycare if I'm depressed at home?

I am a stay-at-home mom of 4 but I struggle with depression, sometimes I feel like I'm not "with them" enough for it to be beneficial that I'm home with them. Is it better for them to be in daycare than to be around me all day?

addison960

Asked by addison960 at 4:26 PM on Dec. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• Its better for them if you seek help
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:26 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Yeah I'm with her... get help
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 4:27 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• If you need some time to yourself, it might help. It probably does not help them either when they see you depressed. It can make them sad as well.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 4:27 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Oh and I agree, seek help. You definitely need to do that. The problem won't go away just by you dropping them off at daycare.
    thatgirl70

• Yes! As long as it's a good place that you've checked out. But use the time to address this as a long term mental health issue, so that you can enjoy the time you do spend with them. Good luck! And def don't feel guilty: you can't take good care of them unless you take good care of yourself.
    whatthewhat

Answer by whatthewhat at 4:28 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Get help hun! Your children need a happy mommy :)
    Jessicabartlett

Answer by Jessicabartlett at 4:30 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Get professional help first. A doctor can help you figure out if you really want to go (I'm assuming and don't mean to offend or put words in your mouth) to work and put them in daycare.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 4:30 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Try putting them in daycare a couple of days a week to give yourself a break, use that time to get some counseling and try to deal with your depression, and use the time to recharge so that hopefully you can make the most of the time that you have with them.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:32 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I can understand where you are coming from, and I believe that putting the kiddos in daycare for a day or so will give you the break you need. It will be very difficult, but perhaps the night before try making a list of things the kids can do to keep them busy. Whether you have already asked for help from a doctor or not, it will be a hard journey. Some people may think its a quick fix to "Get help" but there is more to it than just that. Be strong and keep your chin up. Many hugs
    CindyLou122

Answer by CindyLou122 at 4:40 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• If you feel like they need it, then by all means go for it! We all need a break. I suffer from depression and since I went back to work and my son is in daycare I feel great. Also if you can afford it, then yes! It can't hurt them any.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 4:47 PM on Dec. 22, 2010