Don't ask don't tell

I swear I never got why the (forgive me if i get the name wrong) Gen. Pa-tray-is...said that he is against gays in the miltary becase if your out fighting a solider mind could be fouced on the gay and not the enemy. Well shouldt you be able to train folk (soliders) to not give a damn about that?

Me personally I don't give a fudgesicle who you sleep with. If I got bulltes flying at my head I'm not going to be thinking about Jim boinking John. Too stupid. If someone wants to protect and they meet all requirements (physical, mental, emotional) who cares about sex? I mean I know there are soliders who do not like to use condoms when they sleep with women. That is a Real issue (STI's, HIV?AIDS,pregnancy) but we don't talk about that.

Thoughts?

Jazmineamomma

Asked by Jazmineamomma at 4:28 PM on Dec. 22, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't know why it bothered anyone in the first place. They are just like the rest of us. People should just be glad that they are willing to risk their lives for our country instead of think about who they sleep with
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:30 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• My thoughts are that the US military would do well to look beyond it's own bubble for once and see the other countries where gay soldiers have served openly for years.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 4:37 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I come from a long line of family in the military and although they can be trained for ALOT of things one thing that cant be changed is human nature and personality. If someone is uncomfortable around Gay men or women no amount of training will end that. So yes, it will be on some of their minds. Second, if it is on their mind and maybe they arent so comfortable they might not extend the effort to protect that person. Its crappy, but there are people like that in the world. Repealing DADT dont change that.

Answer by gemgem at 4:41 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I don't think people who have such concerns over the repeal of DADT are giving enough credit to our military. There will always be a small percentage of people who are not open-minded or willing to let go of their prejudices, but for the most part I think the military men and women want to know the person standing next to them has their back and is doing a good job, and neither of those things have much to do with sexual orientation. There was concern that it would cause an uprise in the forces when blacks were allowed to serve, and when women were allowed to serve, and there were no major problems. There will be isolated incidents of trouble I am sure, but I have faith that for the most part our men and women in the service have bigger things to worry about than whether Private Johnny has a boyfriend or girlfriend to go home to. And if the leaders set a tolerant example, the soldiers will follow that lead.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:50 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Oh I never thought that they wouldn't help the gay person if they were injured....that's bullshit. Yeah true about when other's were allowed to serve...there was tension but things are better. Yeah our leaders do need to set a tolerent example and let it be know that disgracing your fellow man (for waht ever reason) is highly punishable and frowned upon.
    Jazmineamomma

Comment by Jazmineamomma (original poster) at 5:23 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I agree with you 110%! who cares of there gay, straight, or bi. If they are man/woman enough to go out there and risk there lifes to protect the US then why should they care. There protecting YOU .. they aint out there worried about F'n the guy next to them!!
    mommy2be0611

Answer by mommy2be0611 at 5:44 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I wonder how many of you could be trained to think differently. How many of you could be ordered to feel differently or believe differently.

I'm fully behind repealing DADT, but it has to be done BY the military and so that the military continues to function. It doesn't matter how civilians think or feel. It doesn't matter if civilians like/dislike it. As civilians you live under and function with a completely different set of rules. The military has it's own rules, and for reasons that some of you can't seem to grasp. Our COTUS says you don't have to, but it also states quite clearly that you aren't qualified to create military laws, rules, or regulations.

Those of you who vote me down/disagree are proof that people are going to feel/believe what they feel/believe. Right/wrong, sensible/nonsense, doesn't matter. Soldiers are people just like you and their beliefs/feelings are just as valid as yours.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 9:46 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Actually, Farmlady, I agree with you to a degree in that it's important how the military feels about it. The soldiers were polled, and most see it as a non-issue. They don't care. It seems it's the commanding officers that are the ones who have a problem with it.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 11:51 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Having served in the military, I don't care who you take to bed, so long as you've got my back.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 2:55 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• The soldiers and families were polled...with a poll scewed toward's agreement. I was very disappointed with the survey. It didn't allow for people to answer the way they truly felt..there was no disapproval..only varying degrees of approval. There is a lot of grumbling about this now that the results have been released.

I agree 100% with Farmlady.

I personally don't know anyone that supports it...with the exception of some of my friends here on cm...I am referring to real life military people.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:49 AM on Dec. 23, 2010