I see a psychiatrist for depression and I was wondering if it would make sense to switch from a man to a woman psychiatrist?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:03 PM on Dec. 22, 2010 in Health

• well if you're feeling uncomfortable with the male then go for it. But male psychiatrist are more understanding from my experience.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:05 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Well my one male pyschiatrist actually told me to never turn my DH down for sex.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:06 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Only if you're uncomfortable. If he's a good doctor, and you feel like he understands you, and communicates well with you, I wouldn't change.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 5:07 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• If it makes you more comertable and you think you could open up more then yes.
    MacksMama

Answer by MacksMama at 5:07 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

go see another doctor
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:08 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

__________________

While this man is apparently an ass, there ARE good male psychiatrist. But I can understand how this might make you leary of seeing another male doctor. You do need to change doctors, but only you can decide whether you would prefer another male or a female this time.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 5:11 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• After reading what the doctor said, you need to find a new one. Male or female, depends on what YOU are comfortable with.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:18 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• it just depends on who you're comfortable with...i prefer male psychiatrists, but plenty of other women dont...and for the record, i DO agree with what he told you (within reason of course). i firmly believe that if you are physically able to have sex without too much pain then you should never say no to your SO.
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 5:25 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Gender should not matter, it's who you feel comfortable with and him telling you that you should never refuse your hubby sexually would make me want another Dr. GL

zbee

Answer by zbee at 5:33 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Deciding whether you want a male or female counselor is a highly personal decision. Even a woman could have suggested that to deny your husband sexually is wrong. The issue is that at some level you ARE uncomfortable with MEN that's why there is an issue in the first place!! Or am I wrong that no one seemed to flinch when a woman suggested that even under duress of pain ... sex is obligatory! The answer is within you ... what are you depressed about? Is it something better discussed with a woman who can easily identify with you? Or are you looking for a stronger figure to guide or console you? I suspect the first is true ... but only you can know for sure. 

phoenix1963

Answer by phoenix1963 at 7:06 PM on Dec. 22, 2010