Should DOMA be repealed? Why?

Obama: DOMA Should Be Repealed, Lawyers Looking At 'Range Of Options'
Rachel Slajda | December 22, 2010, 11:10AM

President Obama, although he still supports civil unions over same-sex marriage, said yesterday that he believes the Defense of Marriage Act should be repealed.

"Repealing DOMA, getting ENDA a bill to protect LGBT people from discrimination done, those are things that should be done," Obama told The Advocate the night before signing Don't Ask, Don't Tell repeal into law. "I think those are natural next steps legislatively. I'll be frank with you, I think that's not going to get done in two years. We're on a three- or four-year time frame unless there's a real transformation of attitudes within the Republican caucus."

Friday

Asked by Friday at 5:18 PM on Dec. 22, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Friday

Comment by Friday (original poster) at 5:18 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Yes, but I doubt it will happen any time soon - even Obama supports it, so I doubt he'd sign off.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:25 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I'm more curious as to why people would object to it being repealed. I think as long as the individuals are consenting adults, they should be able to marry the person they love. It doesn't matter whether the two of them are both males, both females, or one of each.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 5:26 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Yeah but now he is talking about repeal. If he wins a second term, by some miracle, he might do something about it. I'm not holding my breath tho, seems like political posturing since Dems aren't happy with him lately.

Friday

Comment by Friday (original poster) at 5:27 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• It should be repealed, because as long as we're talking about two consenting adults, their sex shouldn't matter... Will it be repealed? I think eventually, it will. But not soon enough, that's for sure.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 5:33 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Here's where he's kind of screwed himself. The gay rights lobby was SOOO ticked at him for a few years, that a lot of them count the DADT thing as good, but too little too late. The question for him is how much of his base is sympathetic to them. A lot of what I read on it I get from wow, which is kind of the bridge between the activist community and Hollywood in that respect. When wow is down on him (and they have been, more than they've been positive), that carries over to all the celeb/media types they work with, too. By turning his back on that one group, that has repercussions that branch out into other groups.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:37 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Yes, DOMA should be repealed. It should never have been made law in the first place. It's discriminatory, as was DADT. I hope President Obama is able to get it repealed and soon.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 5:48 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Yes it should be repealed. It is discriminatory.
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 6:21 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Yes it should. It's unconstitutional. But they repeal that for being unconstitutional, they need also repeal Obamacare, the Patriot Act, and a whole slew of other policies for being unconstitutional.
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 6:55 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• DK/DC
    SavageGrl

Answer by SavageGrl at 7:29 PM on Dec. 22, 2010