Need help....like NOW. :(

My son is 5 months old and for the last 4 days he's been waking up at about 1am or so and crying INCONSOLABLY. I've never had this problem before, and he was pretty much sleeping through the night! Now, yesterday and today he's just done it ALL DAY. He's not SCREAMING but its definately more than just whining. I have no idea what to do! He's not hungry, diapers clean, clothes aren't uncomfortable, he just cries and cries cries!!! He was never like this before so Idont know what it could be!! Help me before I go insane please!!!!

Background--he's 5 months old, exclusively BF, on rice cereal, normal number of wet/dirty diapers. I don't THINK I've eaten anything offensive to give him a tummyache.

AidensMommy608

Asked by AidensMommy608 at 5:54 PM on Nov. 9, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Oh, this crying inconsolably lasts AT LEAST 2 hours. I forgot to mention that!
    AidensMommy608

Answer by AidensMommy608 at 5:55 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• Sounds like colic
    Anonymous

• How long have you been giving him the cereal? Maybe it's upsetting his tummy? I would call the dr.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 5:56 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• 5 months is really late for colic
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 5:57 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• Could he be teething? My four and a half month old has been doing this lately, too...not so much at night, but in the late afternoon evening. She also tugs on her ears a lot, which I've read can be a sign that they are not feeling good for some reason. I tried a little bit of baby orajel and it stopped instantly and she was back to her normal happy go lucky little self!
    sophiafarris

Answer by sophiafarris at 5:57 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• He's been on the cereal for like 2-3 months [he's a big boy!] so I don't think its that, and colic usually shows up around 3 weeks and is over 90% of the time by three months....so I don't think its that either.....what are other signs of teething?
    AidensMommy608

Answer by AidensMommy608 at 5:59 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• ITS NOT COLIC...BELIEVE ME U WOULD KNOW! COULD BE TEETHING... SOMETIMES THEY JUST GO THRU THAT PHASE... MY SON IS 20 MONTHS AND IS DOING THAT OUT OF THE BLUE... HE WILL BE DOWN FOR THE NIGHT THEN WAKE AND AND CRY AND CRY... NOTHING WILL BE WRONG....JUST SEPERATION ANXITEY, I THINK... LIKE I SAID THEY GO THRU PHASES... I WOULD LET HIM CRY IT OUT FOR LIKE 15-20 MIN THEN IF HE IS STILL CRYING JUST GO CUDDLE HIM FOR A SEC HEN PUT HIM BACK DOWN :)
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 6:01 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• Drooling, cheek rubbing or ear pulling, irritability, coughing, chin rash, biting/gnawing, not sleeping well, low grade fever, diarrhea....check out this page...it is very helpful.

http://www.thenewparentsguide.com/baby-teething.htm
    sophiafarris

Answer by sophiafarris at 6:02 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• sound like he is teething
    LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 6:57 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• I remember at about 4 months my kids would wake up. There was a book by a Dr. called Touchpoints and this was one of the 'touchpoints' - they are at an age that they know they are alone and want you - separation starting to be a factor. Also, when they learn something new - like sitting up or rolling over - they get so excited, they wake up at night. It's usally a phase that will pass. As long as he's healthy - you just have to get through it (I know, easier said than done!). I have a couple of teenagers now, so we get up in the middle of the night - when they come home for midnight curfew!!!
    mnrock

Answer by mnrock at 7:27 PM on Nov. 9, 2008