I really am trying (question for those with boy and girl teenagers)

My son commented that I am more accepting of my daughters friends being over than I am of his friends being over. But I swear these boys have never learned how to act IN doors. I hear jumping, yelling, walls are being banged around.... I am CONSTANTLY having to remind them that they are IN a home not at the park. Really... who the hell lets their kids act this way?????

I really do try... they are up stairs right now... Im doing my best to allow boys to be boys... but this is a HOME!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:33 PM on Dec. 22, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Tell them that if they are going to act like a bunch of animals, to go outside. I don't care if it is col, raining, or what. No one is going to act like that in my house.
    A.Perry

Answer by A.Perry at 6:35 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Acknowledge to your son that you are more accepting of her friends being over, and then explain in a polite way why that is. Explain that every time you have to speak to them about the noise level, you become 50% less excited to have them in your home. Or maybe a two strikes your out deal for each visit; it should be up to your son to keep his friends in line, not you. If they want to be noisy, they need to chose a more appropriate venue.
    whatthewhat

Answer by whatthewhat at 7:13 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• My brother is 18 and his friends have always been like this. Encourage them to do something outside for a while (TP the neighbors house, beat the heck out of each other playing football, whatever) then when they come in they won't be quite as lound (kind of like preschool lol). Anway, if they are spending the night, have a noise cerfew. Say by 12 am, no sound that you can hear in your room. But remember, boys are louder and rougher by nature, you can't compare them with the girls.
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 8:19 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Well, home was one place that my children were allowed to be themselves. Loud, active and outgoing. Home was where the could rough house and wrestle. Out in public and at other peopels homes they were expected to be on their best behavior, quitee and reserved. At home, kids could be kids. I never minded if my sons and their friends were loud, if they wrestled, if the played football in the bedrooms, etc.. It was kids having fun. I think that stressing about it is a waste of time. Ours was never a quiet house and never will be. When my 4 sons are over to visit the noise level goes up and they're adults. My husband is just as loud as they are. This is our home, we have fun here.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:09 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• We have fun in our home, too, but that's never meant that it sounds like the inside of a stadium. My kids have been taught how to behave and that includes having some consideration for the other people in the house. Perhaps mothers without daughters just don't realize the differenece in the sound levels.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 9:27 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• i know what you mean. Unless they are damaging anything I would try to put up with it and be glad the teens come to your house rather than wondering where your son is.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 12:57 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Sit them down and tell them what the rules are.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 1:16 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• They act that way because they are teenage boys! My brothers & his friends were the exact same way!!
    Your son has a legitimate complaint. Try to find a happy medium such as asking them to "rough house" in the basement or set up an area in the garage with a heater where they can bounce around!
    CayShek

Answer by CayShek at 11:37 AM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Kick them out if they won't listen.
    sexyfancyface

Answer by sexyfancyface at 12:17 PM on Dec. 26, 2010