Bank of America Breaks In & Steals Woman's Husband

Well, Happy Holidays, your bank just broke into your home and robbed you of your precious belongings -- including your beloved husband!

That's what Bank of America just did to struggling homeowner Mimi Ash, who believes she was mistakenly foreclosed upon by the bank. Ash was behind on payments for her Truckee, California home and was working out a mortgage modification with Bank of America. However, before the modification was worked out, the bank seized her home, changed the locks, and tossed out her possessions, which included a box with her husband's ashes.

What is going on? In neighborhoods around the country, foreclosed houses are sitting empty, showing signs of wear, their yards overgrown, yet the banks don't seem to have the manpower to get them up and on the market again. But then here's a case where the homeowner is actually working with the bank to figure out a payment plan that she can afford and thus save her home from foreclosure. The bank can't find the time to work with this homeowner to a final solution, but somehow finds the time to break, enter, and clear it out, removing her very personal belongings.

Ash told the NYT:
 "This is in essence a burglary ... But when a burglar goes in, they don't take your photos and your husband's ashes."

Other similar bank repossession stories have been surfacing, too. Reportedly, banks used repo men to break into Florida homes. Other banks have hired firms to break into and enter homes that were not even formally foreclosed upon, in some cases, while the homeowner was inside the house. You can imagine how scary that might be!

It just seems in a horrendous mortgage crisis situation like we have here right now in our country, banks should be working to keep people in their homes, not resorting to such indecency.

What do you think? Is the bank wrong or did the woman risk these consequences by falling behind on her payments?

http://thestir.cafemom.com/home_garden/114201/bank_of_america_breaks_in

I almost wanted to see if they want to have my husbadn too then I saw theytook his ashes. That's heart breaking

mommy_of_two388

Asked by mommy_of_two388 at 5:47 PM on Dec. 22, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• That is so sad....especially since she was trying to work with them. Thats the thing that piss me off. There are some women who try and some who dont. The ones who dont get a house for FREE because they are on WELFARE and we pay for it. But the BANKS seem to think that is ok. I do have a problem with the SYSTEM giving away homes to those SORRY ASS WOMAN who refuse to get a JOB, TRADE, OR DEGREE. The bank is so WRONG for what they did. I wish her the best of LUCK.
    *Ms. Complicated*
    mom42107

Answer by mom42107 at 6:06 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Bank of America bought Country Wide in all the mortgage shake ups earlier which mean they now hold my mortgage. They took my payment out twice in one month. I had to contact the OCC (Office of Comptroller - federal gov't) before they would return my payment. All they would say is they put the extra towards principle. As soon as the OCC contacted them, my payment came by FedEx.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:18 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• That is very sad. Hopefully, she will be able if nothing else to get his ashes back. I'm sure that means more to her than anything. I just really hope next year is better for everyone than this one has been.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 5:49 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• awwe that poor woman .. that is so sad! The bank is totally wrong. They have no right taking her husbands ashes!!! Is that even legal ?? I would def. get a lawyer!!
    mommy2be0611

Answer by mommy2be0611 at 5:52 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• If she was in an active modification process(meaning in the process but not complete yet) they should not have foreclosed. period so something is off in this story. Trust me I know. I have been in an active mod. process for a year now.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:00 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Omg!
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 6:48 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• She should have done the responsible thing. PAY HER MORTGAGE! It's not like this thing happens overnight. She was give ample warning.

Nope, I don't feel sorry for her.

I'm sure we're not getting the whole story and I prefer sources other than CM blogs. Just saying.

SavageGrl

Answer by SavageGrl at 7:26 PM on Dec. 22, 2010