Omg im overweight and just found out im pregnant, can i loose weight safely while pregnant so i dont end up OBESE?

I am 230 and 5'2 not a good combination for weight and height i know and im a month along

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:35 PM on Jul. 6, 2008 in Pregnancy

• It is possible to lose fat while pregnant and still be healthy for the baby. Eat healthy. If you're craving something sweet have strawberries instead of chocolate. If you're craving something crunchy have raw snow peas instead of chips. You can even make lots of foods that are healthy and taste really good. There's a site http://goneraw.com that has a lot of great recipes. They're mostly by people who eat an all raw diet but non-raw foodists can eat them too. Very healthy and very delicious.

Also walk a lot and try prenatal yoga or some other exercise program designed for pregnant women.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 4:38 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• Well i know that the doctors told me to try to gain only 15 pounds, because i am also overweight..and that its alright if i actually lose weight.. but as long as im not dieting. I need to eat the proper ammount of calories, exercise, etc..

Last appointment i had lost a little weight..but early on i had put a lot on cause i wasnt watching what i ate. Right now my pregnancy weight gain stands at 9 pounds.. im five months pregnant. Im hoping to either stay there or lose more.. I dont want to gain too much.

With my daughter i gained about 26, but like i said they want me to only gain 15 this time around (and i started my pregnancy off weight less this time around)

And you will be able to lose the weight afterwards. Especially if you are breastfeeding, it helps burn calories. I intend on going back to weight watchers, they have a program for breastfeeding women.
    Anonymous

• The thing with overweight women (me being one of them) is that in pregnancy we tend to lose weight not gain a ton like other women. Dr said I should not diet but eat right and moderate exercise(havent yet and im 22 weeks lol). I was 247 when I found out I was pregnant now I am like around 230-231. I havent done anything different really maybe a bit more fresh fruit than before I got pregnant but thats it. COngrats on the baby and dont worry too much about the weight. Now isnt the time to.
    Anonymous

• Hi there, I have a friend who started out a 14 and ended up a 12. She lost weight during the pregnancy because she ate REALLY healthy. IT was difficult for her to get pregnant so she did everything right. The first time she shopped in my store she bought me out of extra large. The next time she came in she bought all larges.
    Lisa
    www.bumpfashion.com
    bumpfashion

Answer by bumpfashion at 5:30 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• yep....just eat really healthy...it'll be better for you and the baby both!
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 6:22 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• Yes... eat very healthy. Like the other women said, you may have been overweight b/c your eating habits weren't great. Well, now you should make yourself eat better for the baby. It is OK to lose a few pounds when you're pregnant, as long as your baby is healthy... and as long as you had some extra weight to start with. Congrats on the baby!
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 6:26 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• If you are under a doctor's care, you can and will lose weight if you have a healthy diet, some walking, drink water. I ate the best in my life with my first baby. Just remember, doing what is best for you and the baby will be what gets you in the direction you want to go. I found it to motivate me beyond where I ever had been before.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 6:41 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• i am 20 weeks along, and very overweight, and at my last appt (on the 3rd) i found out that i lost weight, and my dr was very upset with me. i wasnt trying to loose weight, so i was shocked as well. if ur overweight ur supposed to gain 15-25 lbs. just eat healthy foods, and exercise so that u dont gain too much and u will do fine!
    kissmiss213

Answer by kissmiss213 at 7:40 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• My doctor recommended that i follow a healthy diet while I was pregnant. i delivered 7lbs over my weight prior to pregnancy. If you follow a diet for gestational diabetes...you will give all of the nutrients to the baby, while not gaining a ton of weight. Right now what is important is making a healthy baby. Congrats!!!
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 8:10 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• I weighed 298 lbs when I got pregnant with my 2nd child. I ended up loosing almost 55 lbs. I drank lots of water, and ate a lot of chicken and veggies. ( that's what I craved ) I also walked a lot! They say walking is good exercise while you are pregnant, so that an eating healthy, you could loose. My Doctor kept telling me I needed to gain and upset when I was loosing but Everything turned out just fine.
    Anonymous