Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I want to become a foster parent...

I am in Pennsylvania, and my husband and I would like to become foster parents. We are currently caring for my nephew, but he will be returning to his mother soon. I need advice on where to start, what agencies to look at, and how long it takes. Thanks.

Answer Question

Asked by chickadee8654 at 6:01 PM on Nov. 9, 2008 in General Parenting

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (4)
  • I would start with human services.

    Answer by SamanthaAgain at 6:03 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

  • Yes, Human services is a good place to start. CPS can guide you through where you need to be. I think it's great you want to do this. Just remember every time a child is placed in your home, it's only temporary. Emotions will fly.

    Answer by Xee at 6:53 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

  • Thanks Xee... I am afraid of the emotional side, but at the same time, I can't be selfish. These children need somewhere safe to weather the storm.

    I've had my nephew living with me on several occassions over the past 9 years of his life, and every time he returns to his mom it's very tough on me.

    Answer by chickadee8654 at 9:21 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

  • This is a big, yet wonderful step you are taking. I was a foster child for years. I met my adoptive family through foster care. Rules are different state, but you can most likely and social workers office or police station.

    Just remember, even if you can't see it... You will be making a difference in every life that passes through your house. The kids may not thank you right away, but as they get older they will remember your help, support, and love.

    Answer by Mary_CoreysMom at 1:15 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.