Dumb Question but I have to ask...How many times in your life time would you say you almost choked to death?

I asked this bc I almost choked to death last night my dh and I were sipping on some whiskey and I decided to let it slide down my throw bc I have a slight sore throat and as I was doing this some how it went down the wrong pipe (we don't have two pipes I don't know where that came from but that is how I have heard it said when you choke) anyway it was so scary bc I could not breathe in or out my dh jumps out of bed when he heard me trying to breathe on my 3rd try he got me some water but all I needed to do is let it ride after all had past I was ok but freaked out...my dh thought I wasn't going to sip anymore but hey I needed a night cap I was just more careful this time and for now on.
My first time was when I was 7 yrs. old I swallowed a hard round candy and some one helped me then what an experience, another time was in my late 20's I was enjoying a hamburger and all of a sudden when I swallowed it went down the wrong pipe I could not breathe it was a scary experience so please ladies becareful...just wanted to share and vent...lol

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:14 PM on Dec. 22, 2010 in Health

• none that i can remember.
    annanonnymommy

Answer by annanonnymommy at 6:16 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I've never had that happen..but my husbands grandmother chokes (and she turns blue and need help) at least three times a week! She has issues with the flap that covers the different tubes (for lungs or stomach, sorry don't know the terminology)
    I'm glad that you have always had someone there to help you!
    Have a SAFE and happy holidays :)
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 6:17 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I don't know that I was near death but I remember choking on a fish bone when I was about 9. I was eating alone in the kitchen so I struggled there for a minute before I realized I needed to get someone's attention.

About a year ago I was eating something, I think it was a sandwich but can't tell you for sure. Anyhow, I started choking and couldn't breath. Dh was gone and the kids were asleep, it was scary. I grabbed the phone to call 911 but by the time I hit the "9" I was ok.
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 6:24 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I remember one time when I was very young, probably 4, I was choking on a Dorito. My dad was going to town and I started crying b/c I was choking and my Mom thought I was crying b/c I wanted to go w/ him. So they put me in the car and I couldn't say I was choking. That was one of my youngest memories. B/c I remember thinking I don't wanna go to the damn store, please get the Dorito outta my throat!
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 6:24 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I don't know how many in my life but 3 times in the last 2 months,I have scraed the hell out of the ladies at work a coupletimes and 1 time here at home my husband was so freaking out.I have been wondering if that is a sign or something??
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 6:28 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• A few times. I swallowed a taco shell sideways and was choking on it. I was drooling and everything. My husband just looked at me with a mixture of disgust and fascination.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 9:15 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• none that i can remember
    carisa368

Answer by carisa368 at 11:55 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• none that i can recall really... i mean i know i've choked on stuff, i've never needed the hymlick so i don't believe that it was THAT bad... i've swallowed wrong before, have had stuff down the "wrong tube" so to speak... i also have vocal cord spasms which at times can feel like choking... but i guess really never.
    asil

Answer by asil at 9:02 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• none not sure when I was a baby but none
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 10:19 PM on Dec. 23, 2010