son dosent want to go to college

So my son graduates in May and has no interest in going to college, he says he will sign up for classes at the local community college, if we want and we pay for it, but he has no interest. he said he wants to work and do what daddy does, we will get into that another time. We hasve worked hard to provide as many options as possible for our son, should I try and sell him on college or let him do what he wants for now?

Southlakeblondy

Asked by Southlakeblondy at 6:29 PM on Dec. 22, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I wouldn't push it, b/c he will quit if you do. Maybe give him a little time to explore. And there are SOME good jobs out there where you don't have to go to college What is he wanting to do?
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 6:30 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• His decision isn't set in stone. He may change his mind at any point in the future. If he is at all rebellious, then the harder you push the more he will hold fast to this decision, despite changing his mind. College isn't the solution for everyone. You say that you worked hard to provide him with as many options as possible. Search your mind for what those other options are right now. Would you fund something else that might get him on track to self discovery, like travel or trade school? Do you think he's just pushing your buttons with the doing what daddy does thing? Of so, address it. And if he ultimately does decide to go to college (perhaps after working in the real world for a while) the time off will probably save you money in the long run, because he will go to college with a mission, passion and a goal and get a whole heck lot more out of it.

whatthewhat

Answer by whatthewhat at 6:38 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• depends 100% on "what daddy does"............... so, what does dad do???

My husbands job requires a doctorate... so no college and doing what daddy does really isnt an option in this house... so I can not relate 100%... but....  I would say to my child: college or move out. 

If you want to go straight into the work field... that is fine, it is your choice... I do NOT agree with it ... but it is your life and so I am giving it (the life) to you 100% - move out come Aug (since he would be home during the summer anyway if he had chosen college.. and then he can save for an apt)

btw... that was the rule at my home growing up... I chose to move out... I ended up having to put myself through college because of it.. but I grew up pretty darn fast.

Anonymous

• If you push him into college and he doesn't want to go, it will likely be wasted time and money. You can be successful without college, and college is not for everyone. What about a trade school? What does Daddy do?
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 6:44 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Give him a 6 months. Tell him at 6 months we are giving you 6 more months to go to college. After that the offer ends. we will not pay.
    at least that is what I would do.

Answer by louise2 at 7:01 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• It's okay that he doesn't want to go to college, but I would sit down with him & have him put his future plans on paper. Let him know that he's not going to get a free ride while he tries to figure his life out, so he better have a plan in place to find a job & be prepared to contribute financially to the family (room & board). You could even take it a step further and have him figure out what it would cost him to live completely on his own (rent, utilities, insurance, transportation, food, etc.). Once he sees that it's not all fun & games, maybe he'll decide that going to college, a votech school or the military isn't such a bad idea after all.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 7:02 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Let him work some minimum wages jobs for awhile. That will motivate him to get an education. Plus, why waste your money on college when he's just not interested?
    kbakeman

Answer by kbakeman at 7:03 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• You can not force him to go to college and if you do, it will be a huge waste of money. Let him work fulltime and keep the communication open.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:42 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Nothing wrong with starting at a community college and he could transfer to another school down the road. Lots of people do that to save money for the first two years. Try to guide him into a technical field so there are more job possibilities if he does not go longer than 2 years. An English or similar major will not get him too far. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:47 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• You can't force him to go to college. Depending on what your husband does...consider it a good thing that he wants to follow his dad's footsteps.
    Anonymous