Why are you convinced that only "Christian" organizations give to the community?

Does being a Non-Christian (yep, wrote that just for you) mean that one is incapable of genuine, kindhearted giving?

ObbyDobbie

Asked by ObbyDobbie at 6:40 PM on Dec. 22, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Um, I have never thought that. One of my dearest friends I used to work with is Atheist, she was a very kind person,and gave to her community all the time.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 6:43 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Of course it doesn't mean that at all. My guess is that someone wants to make themselves feel better about their religion and posts that crap to prove what good Christians they are. The only thing they end up doing is looking the fool.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 6:44 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Who said that? I believe anyone can be giving, I don't care what their religious beliefs are.

bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 6:44 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• One of the most genuine people I have ever met is an atheist.

sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 6:45 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Why not ask the person who feels that way? I think that most people here have enough common sense to know that many other organizations give to the community.
    CocoaQT

Answer by CocoaQT at 6:46 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• One of the major principles of Judaism is acts of tzedakah - giving charity, of which there are even different levels, and gimilut hassidim - acts of loving kindness.

As a moderately observant Jew, I teach my children all about both giving charity and doing kind things for people. In fact, today we were out at a mall giving small gifts to random strangers because we could. And the kids came up with ways to make it more special.

Non-Christians are just as capable of genuine, kindhearted giving, if not more - depending, of course on the person and situation.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 6:47 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Why not ask the person who feels that way?

I would, but... the anon feature and all...
    ObbyDobbie

Comment by ObbyDobbie (original poster) at 6:48 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Christians that boast about their giving are taking away their own blessings by telling everyone about it... they should not be out bragging about it. (From a Christian and I already said I agree that anyone can give regardless of beliefs).

bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 6:48 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• No, lol, being nonChristian doesn't mean any of those things. Religion in general, and Christianity in specific, does/do not have a monopoly on characteristics that are inherent in mankind. They may help us exercise those characteristics or virtues, but they are not the only way those characteristics exist in people, or the only way they can be exercised. A non-Christian can be just as loving and sincere in their giving as any Christian can. One's faith isn't really an issue when it comes to this kind of thing...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 6:53 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Who said that only Christian organizations gave to the community?
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 7:02 PM on Dec. 22, 2010