What is causing the severe pill addiction in Ohio?

I read an article about the prescription drug addiction problem in Ohio. One in 10 babies is born addicted and overdose deaths have surpassed car accidents as the leading cause of death in the area.

What do you think is causing this to happen in this particular region?

Read the article here:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/12/22/extreme-pill-addiction-pr_n_800505.html

cleanaturalady

Asked by cleanaturalady at 7:15 PM on Dec. 22, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I think that people in a depressed area, seek some sort of fulfillment. If their earthly future is bleak, and they can make that go away for a while, why wouldn't they? This is just a guess of course. I do not know of any "pill mills" where I live. The laws in Ohio, mus permit this type of establishment to exist. if there is a loophole somewhere for a criminal activity to take place, there are always humans who are willing to step in. That is the fallen nature of this world. Do you have any theories about this or answers to your question Kim?
    Zanjea

Answer by Zanjea at 9:41 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• The same thing is happening here, and in many other areas ~ this article echoes many in our local news. It's sad, but when times get rough, historically you see alcohol and drug abuse rise. I don't understand it or have a reason that makes sense because wasting money on an addiction (or a dream world to replace a harsh reality) is something I've never understood. I just know that it's the norm.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 11:03 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• cleanaturalady

Comment by cleanaturalady (original poster) at 7:15 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I'm not sure what's causing it, but that is a real tragedy. Thanks for sharing the article, it's one everyone, whether they live in Ohio or not needs to see.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 7:32 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• It is not just in Ohio, it is every where.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:37 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• It is happening everywhere, tyfry7496, but the articles said that in this particular area of Ohio the addiction rate is 5 times the national average.

I am just wondering what makes this area more vulnerable than other areas of the country. Does anyone have any theories?
    cleanaturalady

Comment by cleanaturalady (original poster) at 7:48 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Maybe in these bad economic times people are looking for a quick way to be happy and self medicate to take the pain of reality away. Or maybe the drugs are more readily available for people than other parts of the country. Or maybe that area keeps track and some areas do not.

That's all I can think of.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 9:14 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Yes, that does make sense, Jeanmarie. I was thinking Ohio must have some laws that allow for the pill mills because the article said that there are a lot of people who come from Kentucky and W Virginia to buy the pills. I have seen a few news stories and I took a class taught by a guy from the Appalachia area and it is sickening what is happening in that area. The mountain-top removal coal mining that is being done has not only taken away a lot of the (bleak though it was) livelihood from the people who used to work in the coal mines but has also devastated the countryside. The mountains are literally being removed. This is causing an environmental disaster for the lower lying areas that flood when it rains since the terrain has been changed in such a monumental way instead of being allowed to erode and evolve naturally. Consequently people are losing land that has been in their families for generations. Cont.
    cleanaturalady

Comment by cleanaturalady (original poster) at 10:04 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Not to mention the fact that the school systems in the area are some of the lowest performing in the country. My theory is that all of this is tied together. Depressed area, no jobs, poor education, etc. and people are just turning to drugs as a way to cope with life. It is sad and I think it is a issue that should really capture our attention.
    cleanaturalady

Comment by cleanaturalady (original poster) at 10:07 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Prescription drug addicitons everywhere are OUT OF CONTROL!  In this area, there are many people that work around coal and in mines and there are many , readily available pills...mix in poverty and you have a perfect storm.

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:51 PM on Dec. 22, 2010