Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What would you do in my position?

My husband and I are separated. He normally pays my rent and utilities. He lost his job on Oct. 15th. I am a SAHM and getting foodstamps and Medicaid. I have stage 4 cancer and can't get insurance because it's considered a pre-existing condition. If I get a job paying anything more than minimum wage, I will lose my medicaid. But I really need money soon! I will be homeless by New Years at this rate! I never thought I would say this but, I even considered Prostitution.


Asked by Anonymous at 6:08 PM on Nov. 9, 2008 in Money & Work

This question is closed.
Answers (10)
  • I do get cash aid of only $260 a month that will pay my utilities but nothing else. I don't qualify for unemployment because I haven't worked in 2 years. There aren't any jobs to be had in my area. (Myrtle Beach, SC) I also have 4 kids!

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:20 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

  • Can you get cash aid as well? If your husband isn't giving you any money, then that means your income is zero, yes? You should be able to apply for cash aid and help with your utilities. Check out local churches and food banks. Sometimes the Salvation Army can help, along with any cancer charities you can find.

    Good luck, that is such a hard spot to be in, I can't even imagine.

    Answer by SamanthaAgain at 6:11 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

  • I would get a job at CVS or a bank. They both offer benefits and have pretty flexible hours. Bank of America actually pays up to $500 a month in daycare for their employees. Aside from that, since you have kids, this is the time to get desperate. I would talk to a family member or friend to poss have them help you out. I am so sorry that you are dealing with this. Best of luck.

    Answer by Steph319 at 6:13 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

  • Dont you qualify for unemployment? Id apply for that if you havent already.

    Answer by Steph319 at 6:14 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

  • I would look for something for minimum wage then. I know my parents exceeded the limit for medicaid and even needed it because they always had insurance through work, but when my 16 year old brother had lung cancer, they were able to get medicaid for him due to the extenuating circumstances and knowing that their Blue Cross Blue Shield wouldn't come close to covering everything.

    Answer by kabbot01 at 6:39 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

  • **I meant never needed it instead of even needed it.

    Answer by kabbot01 at 6:40 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

  • Try this site for a FREE grant program's for your cancer to help pay for your needs.


    Answer by vbruno at 7:17 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

  • Um, why don't you get disability if you have stage 4 cancer?

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:27 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

  • Reapply for the cash benefits and turn your hubby in for child support.that may get you a bigger cash in your benefits plus have your caseworker help you check into disability.It takes a long time for disability plus some times you need an attorney.

    Best of Luck foe you and your kids.


    Answer by myzero at 7:48 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

  • I have tried to get disability but, I can still physically work so, I don't qualify.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:52 PM on Nov. 10, 2008