i just had my babY. his name is ian HE IS 5 MONTHS OLD. AT NIGHT HES NOT SLEEPING. WHAT SHOULD I DO?????????????????????????

desperatemom616

Asked by desperatemom616 at 7:51 PM on Dec. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 5 months old is not just had your baby. You stay up with your baby tell he/she goes to sleep.

Answer by louise2 at 7:53 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• It can take months before they sleep well at night. And sometimes they get the days and nights mixed up. With our boys we always found it worked best for us to get into a sleep time routine that was always the same. Bath, diaper change, swaddling, lights out, drapes pulled, soft music on or singing, cuddling/rocking/swaying. When the baby got drowsy he was laid down. If done in the same manner, all the time, the baby picks up on the cues and knows it's time for sleeping. The lady I do childcare for has also asked me to follow a set routine with her baby. If the baby cries at all it isn't for long. And I don't mean screaming his lungs out, but minor fussing. This is what worked for us. Our kids were good sleepers and happy babies. GL

elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:54 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Do you have schedule that you go by everyday?? Babies usually do better on a schedule. Try waking him up at the same time every morning and don't let him sleep too long during the day. Just a morning nap and afternoon nap, about 2 hrs each. And have him go to bed at the same time each nite. Since he isn't sleeping well, I'd maybe try putting him down a little bit later than usual- good luck!!!

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 7:56 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• What does he do does he stay up or cries? What I use to do for my 2 kids was take them a bath before bed time and put a blanket d way they do it at d hospital covering all d body they felt comfortable and slept all night since they were use to b in a tight spot inside d belly !!
    May787

Answer by May787 at 7:58 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• At 5 months old he should not be sleeping through the night yet. He should still be waking every 4-6 hours over night at least. If he seems to be sleeping more during the day and less at night then you need to get his days and nights fixed and that means trying your hardest to keep him awake as much as possible during the day. More details are needed to help further.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:46 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Does he cringe? Feverish? Might be stomach issues? Make a doctor appt. and ask if he is allergic to the milk or formula.
    sexyfancyface

Answer by sexyfancyface at 12:26 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Not all babies sleep through the night. My son is almost 9 months and last night slept through the night!

You should comfort him without picking him up out of the crib. Sing to him, Shhh its ok, its night time, play soft music, rub his belly. At this point he shouldn't be eating. Also try not to go into his room the minute he starts to cry..let him cry to soothe himself back to sleep.
    mommytobrooke

Answer by mommytobrooke at 8:45 AM on Dec. 23, 2010